DIY Cedar-Lined Bathroom Ceiling

$200
1 Day

I get so many questions about our cedar-lined ceiling - this is the second time we've done this project, and I wanted to share the finished results and a few thoughts! If you love this idea, you can find more easy and affordable DIY ideas for the home on my blog, Love & Renovations.

Here's a peek at the bathroom before we did any work. We have made some progress in the room by painting the vanity and taking on a few other small projects (you can find links to all of those projects in the blog post itself), but it clearly needed some help!

I attached Cedar Safe cedar planks to the ceiling using my nail gun. I simply started on one side of the room and staggered the boards, just like I would with wood flooring. I cut the boards as needed using my miter saw.

Once all of the cedar planks were installed, I also installed cedar molding around the edges of the ceiling to hide any gaps and create a more finished look. This is installed just like crown molding and is nailed right into place on top of the cedar.

One of the most common questions I get is if you need to seal the cedar to prevent mold - the short answer is no! I spoke with the manufacturer and they don't recommend sealing the cedar (it can cause warping), and cedar is able to withstand high humidity environments. I did share a few tips on the extra steps we take to prevent issues over on the blog post, but we've lived with cedar ceilings in our bathrooms for years now with no issues whatsoever!

Love & Renovations

• April Ross

I also would like to know what color that is. The one u painted for ur cabinets?

• Junith

If like to try..do I need to clean my ceiling or scrap old paint first. My ceiling gets mold occasionally...?

• Nancy

If you don't fix the problem, you could have mold spores growing under the boards.

• Dot

what color of paint did you use for vanity?

• Debbie

I bet it smells so good after someone takes a shower.I love this so much

• Mlh34140453

Your work and ceiling are totally beautiful. Great job!!!