DIY Cedar-Lined Bathroom Ceiling

$200
1 Day

I get so many questions about our cedar-lined ceiling - this is the second time we've done this project, and I wanted to share the finished results and a few thoughts! If you love this idea, you can find more easy and affordable DIY ideas for the home on my blog, Love & Renovations.

diy cedar lined bathroom ceiling

Here's a peek at the bathroom before we did any work. We have made some progress in the room by painting the vanity and taking on a few other small projects (you can find links to all of those projects in the blog post itself), but it clearly needed some help!

diy cedar lined bathroom ceiling

I attached Cedar Safe cedar planks to the ceiling using my nail gun. I simply started on one side of the room and staggered the boards, just like I would with wood flooring. I cut the boards as needed using my miter saw.

diy cedar lined bathroom ceiling

Once all of the cedar planks were installed, I also installed cedar molding around the edges of the ceiling to hide any gaps and create a more finished look. This is installed just like crown molding and is nailed right into place on top of the cedar.

diy cedar lined bathroom ceiling

One of the most common questions I get is if you need to seal the cedar to prevent mold - the short answer is no! I spoke with the manufacturer and they don't recommend sealing the cedar (it can cause warping), and cedar is able to withstand high humidity environments. I did share a few tips on the extra steps we take to prevent issues over on the blog post, but we've lived with cedar ceilings in our bathrooms for years now with no issues whatsoever!

Love & Renovations

• Cheryl

Looks great!

• Kike Peralta

Are planks nail it to the sheetrock?

• Chris

Just a thought as experienced home improve, use liquid nail or a type of glue and then nail, because sheetrock may not hold the planks over time.

• April

I also would like to know what color that is. The one u painted for ur cabinets?

• Diana

Beautiful Well Done

• Dainamd
    6 hours ago

You did a wonderful job. Looks great and inspirational for fellow DIYers. Thank you for sharing.