A Simple Idea to Add Some Drama to Your Bathroom

$150
1 Day

We are currently working on a bathroom renovation and we needed something in the space to ground it and create a little bit of drama - enter my favorite paint color, black! We took a very traditional architectural details (beadboard paneling) and painted it black to modernize it a bit. I love the finished result, and it's going to look so great when the bathroom comes together! You can see more on this renovation right here.

a simple idea to add some drama to your bathroom

Before, this bathroom was definitely starting to come together (remember, this is mid-renovation!), but it was feeling a little too bright and airy and needed something to ground it. In addition, there were a few holes in the wall that were challenging to patch and some issues with flaky paint - in a six-week renovation, drywall work can eat up a lot of time, so we decided the best of both worlds was to use the paneling!

Here's a peek at what things looked like when the (pre-primed) beadboard went up. It's simply installed with construction adhesive and a power nailer. You can use a circulating saw to cut the boards down to size - be careful to measure twice when you're cutting holes for pipes or outlets!

Once the beadboard was installed, I caulked all of the seams and patched the nail holes, then I painted the entire thing with two coats of Tricorn Black by Sherwin Williams.

The finished result adds a ton of drama to the room and makes things feel much more polished! It's a subtle difference that layers right into all of the other things in the room, and I'm so glad we took the leap! Be sure to head to the post for the upcoming big reveal of the finished renovation!

Love & Renovations

• Snooks1948

Looks good, did you also replace the missing trim around the shower ?

• Janet Hustek

I'm going to use beadboard to put wainscoting halfway up in the toilet room of our motor home.

• Mary Hall
    30 minutes ago

I renovated a flip house with wallpaper on the kitchen ceiling. Instead of dealing with scraping that off and killing our necks; we used bead board and the end results really set the kitchen on another level. So pleased with about under $20 for 8 x 4 ft sheet and paid someone to help me a few hours and cut the holes needed so I didn't hurt my brain it was so worth it. Bead board is a great cover up on sheet rock. We also used it to close in an unnecessary doorway with a bookcase and use bead board for the back and sides of the inside of the bookcase. It is light weight, easy to cut and work with. And give design to a flat surface....great product.