Cris
Cris
  • Baltimore, MD
Asked on Apr 24, 2019

How often should I stain or re-stain my back yard deck?

WilliamAliceBetsy

I live in the mid-Atlantic region. The deck was originally stained in 2018.

Hi Chris: You can re-stain your deck once it starts to look icky. Some stains last for years. I would suggest every 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't use a solid stain on a deck, or any surface you want to walk on, because it's too thin and won't hold up. You can use solid stain over existing solid or semi-transparent stain, but semi-transparent stain over solid stain will look strange and won't last. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Alice

Most pros recommend you restain a horizontal surface every two to three years. That said, properly preparing, cleaning and drying the surface before applying a stain will yield the best results for the stain to last at least that long. You want to make sure there are no traces of sealant present on the deck.

When it starts to look faded. Usually every four years. Clean with a deck cleaner and use a UV rated stain. A solid deck stain lasts longer and provides the best protection. Semi transparent if that is what you have and/or want the wood grain to show.