Asked on Apr 24, 2019

How can I use old glass sliding patio doors?

Courtney |The Kitchen GartenBetsyMogie
+1

• Tuula McPhee

How about a table or even a small greenhouse project.

Hi Amy: Well, for one, you can make a cold frame for starting your flower and/or vegetable plants early. Or, since they are pretty sturdy, you can do a reverse painting on them and use them in the yard as garden art. Or, you can make a patio table. However, I found a site that talked about usig them for tables. Here it is:

"First a important word of caution. You didn't mention the age of the door. Most door glasses manufactured in the 60's were not tempered. Tempered glass codes were just beginning to show up in the early 70's. If you are not sure, make sure to find the etched 'bug' in one of the corners of the glass positively identifying it as 'tempered glass'. There are also etched trademarks like 'thermopane' out there which is not tempered, just a logo. Laying normal annealed glass (that size) flat for any reason poses a potentially catastrophic safety risk.

Next, if it is 1/8" tempered, you will get a lot of deflection trying to simply support it around the perimeter. I'd strongly suggest support through the middle. Its simply not strong enough to support itself in that size horizontally.

So all that said, I've had customers request my old patio door panels for greenhouses. They are great for that as long as they are not LowE  "

So, there you have it:) Hope some of this helps. Good luck