Easy Hanging Planter

$5

Why are hanging planters from the hardware store so ugly? Those plastic hooks just don't do it for me. So I decided to make myself a really simple hanging planter.

I started with this planter from the dollar store. It's plastic, which means it's lightweight, but more importantly, it's easy to drill through.

Look for planters without holes in the bottom so they don't leak everywhere.

I spray painted my pot using chalkboard spray paint so that I could draw on it. Metallic spray would would also look cool.

Drill 2 holes at the top of the planter on opposite sides.

If desired, you can add pattern to your planter. I used chalk pens because they're what I had on hand. Plus, if I hate the design, I can wipe it off and start over.

To keep your design, spray it a few times with clear spray paint.

Cut 2 pieces of cotton rope about 4' long each.

Thread a piece of rope into each side, making sure that the ends are even.

Tie all 4 rope ends together with a knot, leaving a few inches.

Use 2 of the ends to tie together to make a loop. Tie the remaining rope into another knot or trim it.

Place your plant in the pot and hang. I used a metal S hook to hang the plant on a hook in my ceiling. This allows me to reach the ceiling and remove it for watering.

I'm hoping my spider plant likes it's new home. The jury's still out whether it will survive my black thumb or not...

For more easy DIY projects, furniture makeovers and home improvement ideas on a budget, be sure to check out my blog!

Emy Flint | Semigloss Design

• Cynthia

P.S. I think Lola’s idea is awesome too! How helpful is that idea! I’ll be sure to use it myself!

• Shelly Moore

It looks great, but some plants (most) need drainage. If they sit in damp/ wet soil too long their roots will definitely rot, stink and die. ☹️ Some plants can live in water or like soggy bottoms. Pick up your planters once in awhile to see if they are full of water, if so your plant may not be too happy or healthy.