Keep on Trucking!

$30

I have seen Ken from Ken’s Kreations (he is a hoot btw) do Chalk Couture many times. I was at a craft show and finally saw it in person and now I’m hooked! It is an adhesive stencil where you use chalk paste and the product it produces is amazing. I also love that you can reuse the stencil many times with the same results every time. I relate it to silk screening that I did in high school but this seems easier to me.

So I started with these wood panel pieces that I got from a local auction for a fraction of the original cost.

I cut a piece down to a little bigger that my stencil. In order to do Chalk Couture you need to have a fairly flat surface. I was a little nervous trying this as it’s a bit uneven, but as you will see—it worked!

This stencil happens to come in two pieces. So the first thing you do is place your stencil on the surface and press it down to make sure it’s adhered well.

Using an aqua paste, you take the rubber squeegee and apply the paste in even strokes. It’s really easy!

And voila, I have the base to my truck.

It is best let the paste air dry. However, if you get anxious like I was, you can use a hairdryer to speed up the drying time before adding the 2nd stencil.

I didn’t take pictures of cleaning the stencils, but you just run them under water and carefully wipe off the excess paint. If you are not using them again immediately, let them air dry with the sticky side up. If you want to use the stencil again, carefully blot off the excess water and adhere it to the new flat surface that you will be working with.

Here is the second piece of the stencils. You can see I’ve already used this and it’s “stained” from the previous projects I did. This does not effect your current projects at all!

Here I’m spreading the red paste on. You use even strokes to put it on and you can take the excess paint off and put it right back in the container. I LOVE this! I hate to waste anything and I feel so good putting what I have left over back in the container!

I was so excited, and scared, to pull this up. But WOW! Just look at how intricate this is.

I am absolutely in love with this, but wait there’s more!

I took a piece of lathe, painted it a creamy white to match the wood plank, then distressed it with a sander. Then cut it to measure the outside of the plank.

A little blurry, but I used wood glue to attach all the sides.

Then, I took an air nailer to make sure the lathe was really secure.

I nailed a picture hanger on the back.

And it’s done! I LOVE, LOVE this! I have made many of these using different colored paste. Chalk Couture makes many different kind of stencils and paste colors. It’s a fast, easy way to make something that turns out great every time. And no, I’m not receiving anything from Chalk Couture, I just love this product!

Since this is new to me, the cost reflects the initial cost of buying the stencil and paints for the first time. All of these items will last me a long time!

• John Booros

How did you eliminate the Christmas tree from the stencil?

• Jody Harris

This stencil only comes with the truck. They have many other stencils, that are mostly holiday related, to add on the back of the truck.

But, with these stencils, if there is something you don’t want you just don’t add the paste to that section.

Hope this answers your question.