How to make a DIY laundry detergent that will clean grease?

+5

Husband is auto mechanic, I need a homemade laundry detergent that will actually clean his greasy smelly workclothes, I'm desperate!

• Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Apr 26, 2019

I wouldn't classify this as laundry detergent, but rather a hack. When I have greasy clothes, I use hot water, about 1/2 c baking soda and a tbs of Dawn dish soap in my washing machine. Double rinse.... Works wonders for me!

• Sarah Sota Sarah Sota on Apr 26, 2019

Walmart sells a laundry soap called "Zota" it is just plain soap, no additives and smells great. It comes in bars and powdered. It removes all odors and greasy stuff. I fill the washer with soap and warm water, put the clothes in ,agitate a few minutes and then shut it off for a couple hours to soak. A bar can be rubbed on dampened spots for better removal. This removes fecal odors also! It's great for diapers and invalids bed linens.It comes in pink and white. I use white less costly and use a cheese grater because powdered costs more.

• By Brittany Goldwyn By Brittany Goldwyn on Apr 26, 2019

You can also try adding a cup of borax

• Andi Kessler Andi Kessler on Apr 27, 2019

I have made a soft laundry soap for about 35 years. It does involve the use of rendered animal fats and the old fashioned lye. I use it on anything that gets washed in the machine. Absolutely won’t use any other for laundry. (My husband is a retired farmer, that did most of his own machine repairs, so understand the grease & dirt issues!)

I would gladly share the recipe & instructions if you’re interested. Just send me a message.

• Carroll Carroll on Apr 27, 2019

Add a can of coke to wash water.