How To Colour Glass For Gorgeous Bud Vases

$6

Sometimes the simplest decor is the most effective. Flowers are one of my favourite ways to decorate, recently I made some unique I also love to have fresh flowers on my mantle but in small bud vases rather than in one big bunch. Being a big fan of the current trend for coloured glass, I got the idea to make these gorgeous coloured bud vases with cheap glasses from my local thrift store. I also made a handy tray for them from scrap wood.

how to colour glass for gorgeous bud vases

My local thrift store is full of odd old cut glasses. I picked out 3 different ones of roughly the same size. The cost me £1 ($1.50) in total for all three. The wood I used from an old pallet.

I cut the wood pieces to the same size. You want the wood to be a little bit wider than the glasses and long enough to fit the three glasses on with a little space between them.

Using a drill saw I cut 3 holes in one of the pieces of wood. The holes were large enough to fit in the glasses.

Stain the wood with wax, and then glue the piece with holes in to the other piece of wood.

To colour the glasses I used a mixture of diluted with glass paint thinner. (see blog)

Using the a foam brush apply the glass paint mixture to the outside of the glasses. Make sure you cover all the nooks and crannies.

Once the whole glass is well covered leave the paint to cure. Depending on the paint you use, some you can just leave to dry others you will need to place in the oven for sometime. Just follow the instructions on the paint pot. The paint I used just cured naturally and is dishwasher proof.

Finally, I just then placed the bud vases in the wooden tray and added fresh flowers. They look lovely on the mantle. I think that these bud vases would make a lovely mothers day gift too.

For more details and photos visit the blog post at the end.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Heidi Morton

Delightful! Cheers!

• Jewellmartin

I like this idea. I would probably paint several extra glasses. Then when we have Mothers Day dinner, I could give each mother there a vase, plus have a set to replace the ones I gave away. Then, I would want sets in certain colors to use in year-around decoration. A beast may have been born in me!

• Laura Caplinger-Bair

Could you explain how to make the "paint" again?

• Lesley

Ive used modge podge with acrylic paint. For a tinyed glass look I used a few drops of food coloring with modge podge. ☺

• Darletta McCollum

I actually love this one I read stuff on here every day most of which I’d never attempt or just not my taste but this one is something I can do with grandkids as gifts for their moms. Thank you for sharing 😊👍🏻

• Christine Ann Hiner

This is beautiful! I have my grandchildren often and we do crafts. I think I will just do the little bud vases, simply because they are beautiful and easy enough for them to do with me! Thank you and God bless!