Fabulous Fire Pit Makeover

$25

I am often surprised at what people will not attempt to repair or fix and would rather go spend $100 to purchase a new one. So when my husband pointed out this fire pit that just needed a little TLC I was on top of it. At our thrift stores here we have half-price day so it was $25 in at half price at $12.50 I couldn’t pass it up. It was a risk because you never know whether the propane connect or the thing itself will work but I was ready to take this challenge.

Before transforming
Before transforming

As you can see the top had some chunks out of there rock look. I literally just scraped it with all the loose parts and lightly sanded with a standing block to get ready for paint.

The bones were in perfect condition
The bones were in perfect condition

The structure of the fire pit was in perfect condition other than scraping off all the paint and the loose rock look. Last summer our sliding glass door shattered. Being that it was tempered glass I saved it and put it in a bucket. I knew I would use it in a future project. And here it is.

Old lava rocks
Old lava rocks

I removed all the old lava rocks and actually threw them in my barbecue so they were recycled. I cleaned out the area of the best I could.

Emptied lava rock
Emptied lava rock

I Took a household cleaner and wiped out the inside I didn’t like the lava rock and rust to show through.

With tempered glass
With tempered glass

We went ahead and added the glass fired it up to make sure it worked and it worked great it was beautiful with the glass. Now it was time to upgrade the rest of it.

Painting
Painting

Once I removed all the chipped out pieces and gave it a good cleaning we applied Krylon high heat black spray paint.

Starting to look like new
Starting to look like new

We just placed the lid on so that we could paint both at the same time, the sides did not need any work they were in perfect condition so we literally took five minutes to just spray off the top.

Wala!
Wala!

Here is the finished product we have already used it many times it works great and gives off heat. As you can see we probably spent five dollars on the spray paint already have the broken glass and paid 12.50. So for under 20 bucks we have a brand new beautiful fire pit. I wish that more people can think outside the box and recycle things so that they don’t end up in our landfills. Hope you like it let me know if you have any thoughts.

fabulous fire pit makeover

Krylon high heat spray paint

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Cathy Nelson

I have this same fire table - but there are big chunks missing! Do you have some suggestions beyond sanding and painting?

• Ruth

Ha Ha Ha that was my husband helping me! Mr. Pro

• Hope

I love that you hung on to the broken glass!! : )

I hang on to stuff like that too. One never knows when or how it will be used...only that it will. : )

• Ruth

Thank you Hope, I tell my family not to mess with my treasures.