Pinwheel Spring Wreath

$22
1 Day

I've always wanted to make a wreath for my front door that included some fun pinwheels. When I found this woven wreath form at the craft store, then some colorful pinwheels, my dream wreath finally came together!

I had seen a few wreaths on Pinterest that featured pinwheels as decorations. I really love this idea, but didn't really have a plan to make my own wreath. Then I came across this pretty woven wreath form at Michaels. I loved this wreath form just on its own, but thought it might be perfect to finally make a pinwheel wreath for spring.

Finding pinwheels proved more difficult than I thought, especially in February. I looked online, but couldn't find the colors or size that I wanted. Then I came across these plastic pinwheels at my local Five and Dime. They are small, with wooden stick handles. I think they may be meant to decorate cakes and cupcakes. They were a little more expensive than what I was hoping to pay ($1.50 each), but they were worth it.

First, I laid out all my wreath elements to see how it would look. I had a bunch of white artificial flowers left over from previous projects, so I incorporated those into my wreath. And I wanted to add a bright yellow bow.

Next, I trimmed the sticks on my pinwheels so they were only a couple inches long. I could tuck them into my wreath easier with shorter sticks.

I also trimmed down the stems on my artificial flowers.

Then I started attaching my elements to my wreath. First, this curving white flowered stem. I attached this with just a few dots of hot glue.

Next I started placing the pinwheels. I had hoped to just wire these to my wreath, but in the end, I used hot glue to attach them. Since the back of the pinwheels stick out a bit, I tucked them in the lower spots between the reeds of the wreath.

Then I attached my flowers. I added in some daisies to match the bright colors of my pinwheels.

I knew it was going to be difficult to attach a bow to this wreath because of the woven texture. So first I glue a band of wide ribbon around the wreath.

Then I glued my bow to this band. I made this bow out of two different sized ribbons. I posted the directions with photos for making a big bow like this on my blog.

I love how my finished pinwheel wreath looks on my door. I hope you like it too!

Donna