Stephie McCarthy
Stephie McCarthy
  • Harpers Ferry, WV

Easy Metallic Labels With Alphabet Stickers and Hand Lettering

$11

I use metallic waterproof tape to make quick labels to mark my garden plants, but here's how I make prettier versions for storage containers indoors. These labels are easy to keep clean with a damp cloth and I love the look of the silvery labels.

easy metallic labels with alphabet stickers and hand lettering

I made this metallic label for my 'CAROB' jar with Nashua Waterproofing Repair Tape and foil alphabet stickers by "Sticko". Nashua Waterproofing Repair tape comes with different colors of backing, and I've found that any color backing works, but do not use the duct-tape with texture. What I use is the shiny aluminum foil tape.

I started with a 1-inch strip of the tape and used an X-ACTO knife to transfer the letters in a stacked formation. You can just as easily make a horizontal design. The knife helps control the placement of the stickers and doesn't pull off the adhesive, as your fingers might.

This wonderful tape can be etched with a pencil. I used a pencil to etch a simple border around the edge of my carob label. I used a straight-edge to make a thin outline then filled it with small dashes all around the edge.

For this 'Lilac' bud jar, I did hand-lettered script. I simply etched the letters into the tape with my pencil, then highlighted the letters with ink from a blue Ultra-Fine Point Sharpie pen.

This is how I made my template for this label. I applied masking

tape to the jar then outlined the space where the label would go.

I removed the tape and transferred it to a flat piece of pie-pan aluminum and cut it out for a template. Here you can see I was using the template to draw the outline of my label onto some aluminum tape. Lots of experimenting went on as I looked for what would work best.

Here I have applied aluminum tape to the back of some lilac paper. I traced the label shape onto the paper and I cut along the outline. This creates a metallic label with a paper back. The tape will stick directly to glass, metal or plastic but I want labels that I can remove and replace easily. My solution was paper backing and rubber cement.

Here I was practicing the word "Lilac". As you can see a pencil is all you need to etch your lettering into the aluminum tape. However, to make it stand out more, simply go over it with an Ultra-Fine Point Sharpie pen in any color you like.

If you'd like to be able to easily remove your labels and change them in the future, use rubber cement on paper backing to attach it to glass, plastic, or metal as I did. Hold your label in place for several minutes until it grabs.

Now I have a label that is easily cleaned with a damp cloth and when I want to change the label, I can remove the rubber cement easily. By the way, I found these wonderful metal-topped jars from the Dollar Store and LOVE them! I love creating and using every-day, inexpensive items to make wonderful things. If you do also, I hope you'll visit my Home page here to see what's new.

Stephie McCarthy

• Mia

What a great labeling method. I'm definitely bookmarking for later reference. Lilacs are my favorite flower, so I have to ask - what do you use the dried lilacs for?

• Stephie McCarthy

It makes pretty colorful pot pourri and sachets because it keeps a lot of it's color. I also like to decorate with bunches of dried flowers in my old house. The scent doesn't linger – so adding essential oils is what I do.

• Rebecca Surette

I work with herbs a LOT, and have wanted a really pretty labeling method. I thank you, and my herbs thank you!

• Rebecca Surette

LOL, I often joke that chamomile growers should be sending me a kickback, I recommend chamomile tea so often for anxiety and skin issues in cats! I do recommend the prepared tea bags for those, though, as cats can't have English chamomile, and I don't trust the run-of-the-mill reader to know German from English when growing!

• Rebecca Surette

Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge. Internally for anxiety, 1-3 teaspoonful (up to 3 tablesoonfuls for a cat 12 lb or over) up to three times a day. For skin irritations and minor wounds, just swab it on the affected area. I've used it externally on people, cats, dogs, rats and horses to good effect.