Twisted Sister Sass - Bar Stools

$20
2 Weeks

I was recently inspired by the pattern of Zebra / Tiger stripes and thought of a way I could incorporate this pattern into one of my projects.

I found these two bar stools on Gumtree for $20, the hardwood tops provided the perfect canvas for what I had in mind to rejuvenate their look.

I removed the hardwood tops from their bases, to make it eaiser to work on both.

.

I sanded the tops with 240 grit sandpaper then 400 grit to get the surface nice and smooth.

.

I painted the border with Annie Sloan Graphite chalk paint. Once dry, I placed painters tape around the border to ensure the top paint would not interfere with the border. The tops were painted with Porters Paints "Priscilla" chalk paint.

.

There was a crack through one of the tops. I placed PVA glue in the crack, clamped it and left it for 24 hours. A light sand and fresh coat of paint and it was as good as new.

I painted the tops with 3 coats of chalk paint to ensure adequate coverage, lightly sanding between coats. Once dry, I removed the painters tape from the border.

.

I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut Stencils resembling Zebra stripes. I placed the stencils on the top and painted them with Unicorn Spit's Midnight Blackness.

Once I completed the top, I painted the border with Unicorn Spit's Midnight Blackness to unify the top and border.

I applied 7 coats of oil based polyurethane, to each bar stool top for durability. I lightly sanded the tops between coats to sand out imperfections and prepare it for the next coat.

.

(Once I applied a coat, I left it 24 hours before sanding and re applying the next coat.)

I cleaned the bases and gave them 2 coats of Rust-oleum Gloss black spray paint.

Once dry, I screwed the tops back onto their bases. This was a fun project to do and I was very pleased with the new look of these Sassy Bar Stools 😋

.

I had the products I used for this project, the only cost was for the Bar Stools.

• Maureen

Great job!! The stools look amazing..so many possibilities!!

• Sally

Thanku Maureen, a little imagination can work wonders 😊

• Linda Premo

Very creative and cool 😎