Angela J
Angela J
  • Louisville, KY

Is there any hope?!

Douglas HuntAngela JWalter Reeves
+4

Most of my flower's have died in this heat wave. Actually, they all have. Most of them are perrenials, is there any hope of bringing them back? I've been watering them late at night (around 8 or 9) when the temperature is in the upper 80's lower 90's. Our lows have been in the upper 70's. Perhaps I've been doing wrong by watering them so late? I really miss them :(
  • KMS Woodworks

continue to water they may come back....

• Walter Reeves

Perennials have much better recuperative powers than annuals....keep your fingers crossed.

Plants are amazingly resilient. If you can, I would encourage you to water early in the morning. Watering at the end of the day leaves water on the leaves all night which can encourage problems. And it sounds like you're not watering enough. Getting the plant a good dose of water that it can really soak up is more important than frequent sprinkles.

• Angela J

So water them early in the morning before it gets too hot and then again later in the day when the bulk of the heat has passed? Just to make sure i got that right. We've had triple digit heat for over a week and it's been a struggle. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I didnt pick a great summer to get into gardening! lol

Angela, you should not have to water twice a day unless you have things in pots. A good watering in early morning should get them through.

• Angela J

Thanks again so much Douglas, I've been watering them early in the morning. And I've learned also that a few plants I didn't think would survive period cause they were planted improperly are actually growing!! And growing well!! Some of my other plants are even comming back!! I'm really excited! Thank you so much!

Good news, Angela.