How To Make Super Easy Kokedama Moss Balls

$5

Kokedama is the Japanese art of growing plants in moss balls. Traditionally, Kokedama is formed by wrapping the roots of plants in clay before tying moss around it. The result is a beautiful but high maintenance look. Here, we show you how to create an easy, low maintenance version from old tennis balls and sheet moss. All the beauty of Kokedama moss balls without the mess and constant watering.

What you need to make our easy Kokedama moss balls.

Old Tennis Balls

Adhesive Sheet Moss

String (optional)

As well as making Kokedama moss planters from our tennis balls, we also covered a couple of them and some ping-pong balls to make complete moss balls.

Cutting a ball shape from moss

I really wanted a neat finish to my Kokedama moss balls. To achieve it I used a ball pattern generator to calculate the number and shape of the moss pieces to ensure a perfect fit. The ball pattern generator is usually used to calculate the parts needed for sewing balls and is super handy for that too.

How to cover a sphere with moss (or any fabric)

I marked a circle guide on the top of the tennis balls and used a knife to cut that part away.

I also cut out all the pieces of moss following the pattern I had generated. Since the moss is quite thick, I chose to use an 8 piece pattern, but you can create different numbers of pieces to suit your own need.

The moss sheet I use has an adhesive backing and sticks down really well. For the planters, I stuck the excess moss around the cut edge to give a neat finish.

How to plant our Kokedama balls

To keep the moss clean, I lined the opening of the Kokedama balls with some plastic before filling them.

I started by popping some gravel into the moss balls. The gravel should help in two ways. The Kokedama don’t have drainage holes so the gravel will help prevent the roots of the plants sitting in water and rotting. The gravel also helps weight the Kokedama moss balls encouraging them to stay upright as the plants grow.

I then added compost which I pushed to the sides of the balls before planting my pretty little houseplants and removing the plastic protection.

And here are my easy Kokedama moss balls. They can be hung using string or left free- standing as they are here. I think they look just as beautiful as traditional Kokedama balls, and unlike the traditionally made ones, they don’t need twice daily watering and drip drying.

You can find loads more imaginative ways to display your houseplants over on our Craft Blog.

Check out our Cute Square Pots for Mini Cactus Plants

And our Air Plant and Wire Jellyfish.

And if you are looking for some original outdoor succulent planter ideas, you'll find our gorgeous Succulent, Moss and Chicken Wire Toadstool and our Garden Art Made From Colourful Succulents over on our blog too..

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Craft Invaders

• Nina Y. Waller

I’m purchasing everything I need to get this amazing idea finished up and displayed. I plan on having mine free standing on our coffee table so that guests can enjoy them also. My question is this: How do I keep them from rolling over onto their side? Should I glue something flat onto the ball before I add the moss?

• Judith

you can set them on a napkin ring, or a rubber washer if they want to roll or tilt.

• Margi

I have used that moss on other projects but it doesn’t stay green. It turns shades of brown. How do you get it to hold its color?

• Craft Invaders

This is moss sheet that has been designed to be used by florists so it is preserved and I suspect dyed as well Margi :)

• Sandi Gallion Hodge

I’ve done. Regular Kokedama not with Tennis Balls wouldn’t you have to or should you have holes in the rubber balls ?

• Craft Invaders

I decided not to put holes in them as I wanted to sit them straight on my desk. This does mean you have to be really careful about overwatering them. You definitely could put holes in them though :)