How do I remove mold from a concrete basement corner?

+4
  • Dfm Dfm on Apr 29, 2019

Don’t use bleach....use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar in a spray bottle.. bleach won’t kill the spores that spread the mold. Vinager will being an acid will kill it.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Apr 29, 2019

This is one time you want to call in a pro. Mold is dangerous and insidious----many times what you see is only part of what's there.....don't risk your health....get someone in to look at it before tacking this problem.

• See 1 previous
    • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Apr 30, 2019

Hi Grandmother!

Just looking out for you! I worked as a disaster relief associate during Superstorm Sandy recovery in NJ and NY and by far the biggest problem was mold....esp in basements. So much of the problem was the mold that was in the beginning stages that didn't quite show up yet and still left spores that make you sick. I am so glad you're getting it checked out 😊

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 29, 2019

You need to find out where the moisture came from that is causing the mold/mildew in the corner. Until you can get someone to look at it that works with this problem, saturate the concrete with vinegar (straight vinegar) to kill off the spores on the surface. The vinegar is a very effective bacterial and spore killer. It will help keep the spores down until it can be dealt with appropriately. Don't wait long to deal with this, it may get worse behind the concrete where you can't see it and can still cause problems. You need to protect your health.

• Grandmother Grandmother on Apr 29, 2019

Thank you, Nancy. This corner is right by the sump pump, inside, and a downspout, outside. It has not changed much over 20+ years. I want to clean it well and then see what happens. I like the vinegar to start with, and I will follow your advice to have a pro look into it.