Basket Coffee Table Hack

$59

One of the hardest things to find in the stores is a natural wicker/ rattan coffee table at an affordable price!

So I got to thinking and started looking around the house for some inspiration.

I looked at all my rattan baskets- I really had too many and I decided to play around with the largest one I had.

It was the “Snidad” rattan basket from Ikea and it was a decent size for a coffee table !

Basket

Tools and Materials

• Basket
  • Scissors
  • Tabletop
Remove Handles
Remove Handles

I decided to turn it upside - and I loved the look of it - but the handles were in the way!

So with a pair of scissors and pliers I removed the handles!

Cut off the Handles

DIY Coffee Table

The basket looked great without the handles but it needed a top!

Add a Top
Add a Top

Sitting in my storage room was a little Oak Look Side Table $19 from Kmart which I hadn’t used yet and the round top looked perfect for the basket.

It’s colour matched the basket and the size was right!

Coffe Tabletop

So I popped it on top and - Wow - an instant coffee table!

I could have gone to the local hardware store and bought some wood to cut a circle but I decided to use what I already had!

Simple DIY Coffee Table
Easy DIY Coffee Table

My main reason for wanting a rattan coffee table was to match it up with some timber/ rattan chairs I had!

Now I have the perfect table!

You too could easily make a table like this!

Simple Homemade Coffee Table

It looks even better outside. Let me know how you've repurposed household items into something new and creative!

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

• Janet Bilyew
    Janet Bilyew

Very cute! I've been looking for a footstool for my screened porch. I may use this idea and make one, covering with foam and fabric.

• Martha
    Martha

Did you glue or screw the top to the basket?

it looks awesome!

• Grandma Roses
    Grandma Roses

Why does one of the photos of the basket look like the basket is painted white? Did you have to remove the paint?

• Mary
    Mary

Great idea

mary

argyll

• Carrie Andrewes
    Carrie Andrewes

To hold the top onto the basket add metal u-shaped small galvanized brackets underneath. Flip the basket so it’s face up (bottom of the basket faces down). The table circle is also face down. Place two u-shaped small galvanized brackets holding down parts of the basket (the u-shape of the bracket faces upwards) and screw the bracket into the tabletop with two small screws. That way the basket is secure to the table top but it can be removed for storage if you like.