Basket Coffee Table Hack

$59

One of the hardest things to find in the stores is a natural wicker/ rattan coffee table at an affordable price!

So I got to thinking and started looking around the house for some inspiration.

I looked at all my rattan baskets- I really had too many and I decided to play around with the largest one I had.

It was the “Snidad” rattan basket from Ikea and it was a decent size for a coffee table !

I decided to turn it upside - and I loved the look of it - but the handles were in the way!

So with a pair of scissors and pliers I removed the handles!

The basket looked great without the handles but it needed a top!

Sitting in my storage room was a little Oak Look Side Table $19 from Kmart which I hadn’t used yet and the round top looked perfect for the basket.

It’s colour matched the basket and the size was right!

So I popped it on top and - Wow - an instant coffee table!

I could have gone to the local hardware store and bought some wood to cut a circle but I decided to use what I already had!

My main reason for wanting a rattan coffee table was to match it up with some timber/ rattan chairs I had!

Now I have the perfect table!

You too could easily make a table like this!

• Leslie Thomas

Very Cute! No matter which way you spin it. Is the top secured in anyway to the basket or is it free standing? I thought how cute to put throws or afghans in the basket...

• Cathy R

The basket is upside down. Don’t know how throws would work? Maybe a smaller basket inside?

• Dianne

How did you secure top to basket? I envision using 3/4” screws and large gauge washers?

• Rose

L O V E I T!!! Definitely a must. But I really like your chairs. Can you share where you got those?

• Henri001

Try looking at Kmart.com you can still get things there at good prices and ship to home?

• Sue

I would like to make this using the basket with the wide open section on top. It would need a larger wooden top but I think it would be prettier showing off the gorgeous rattan bottom and then you COULD use it for storage. I love my 70s heavy slatted coffee table but might find a place to use one of these. Now to get some TIME??? Thanks for sharing your great creation!

• D fuhrman

Very nice.