DIY Painted Backsplash

$40

Wanting to update your kitchen without breaking the bank? This DIY project only requires a few supplies and can be done in an afternoon! Paint the outdated backsplash you currently have and save some major cash!

Follow me on IG for more DIY projects: @renovationqueenlife

BEFORE

The cabinets are 20 years old, but in great shape. With an updated backsplash and new countertops, this kitchen now looks brand new!

STEP ONE: PREP

Lightly sand down the surface of the backsplash with sandpaper. I used 100 grit with my electric sander.

Then apply a thin coat of Zinsser Peel Stop Triple Thick Primer.

I was surprised at how thin and milky the primer seemed, but it did a great job!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Don't be scared by the appearance of the primer after it dries!

STEP TWO & THREE: PAINT

Paint two coats of whatever color you have decided to use. For this project, I used Sherwin Williams Web Gray.

Glidden Premium is my favorite type of paint, so I always have the paint counter at Home Depot mix my Sherwin Williams color in Glidden paint, but I'm sure you could use any brand that prefer.

For this project, I used eggshell because I wanted the tile to have a matte look without being so flat that every finger print showed.

Painting the existing backsplash saved quite a bit of money, so we were able to splurge on some nice granite countertops.

Oliver approves!

Please Note: You could continue on with a sealant or a glaze, but I did not. The backsplash has been done for approximately six months now and does not have a single scratch! It has held up wonderfully!

Now, this kitchen is ready for at least another 20 years of service!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvVY-SaAdKf/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cah3nqveetkq

• Trisha

I have white cabinets and brown stone floors and counter top. My walls are a pumpkin orange muted color. I have blue and orange and cream curtains. My appliances are off white. What color should the back splash be?

• Beverly

This is tough without seeing the colors. I don’t particularly like cream next to some whites as it makes everything look dirty. I would probably go with a beige or greige. Maybe even a soft green

• Deborah Lynn

If you have textured tile do you need to sand before primer?

• Teresa Lee Whaley

Does this work on old formica?

• Mary Smith

Yes. Just make sure that you sand it down first. Then finish with several coats of latex polyurethane. Buy it at Lowe’s,aHome Depot, etc.

• Paj10520319

On the before and after pictures, you show different counter tops, that makes a difference in the color scheme

• Maria

Congratulations, good work. Please forgive me, to ask this question:

Is this a new trend to install the microwave just above the stove? I have seen photos and I am scratching my head. I can just imagine it being affected by the heat and food splashes while cooking on the stove.