DIY Painted Backsplash

$40

Wanting to update your kitchen without breaking the bank? This DIY project only requires a few supplies and can be done in an afternoon! Paint the outdated backsplash you currently have and save some major cash!

diy painted backsplash

Follow me on IG for more DIY projects: @renovationqueenlife

diy painted backsplash

BEFORE

The cabinets are 20 years old, but in great shape. With an updated backsplash and new countertops, this kitchen now looks brand new!

diy painted backsplash

STEP ONE: PREP

Lightly sand down the surface of the backsplash with sandpaper. I used 100 grit with my electric sander.

Then apply a thin coat of Zinsser Peel Stop Triple Thick Primer.

I was surprised at how thin and milky the primer seemed, but it did a great job!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Don't be scared by the appearance of the primer after it dries!

diy painted backsplash

STEP TWO & THREE: PAINT

Paint two coats of whatever color you have decided to use. For this project, I used Sherwin Williams Web Gray.

Glidden Premium is my favorite type of paint, so I always have the paint counter at Home Depot mix my Sherwin Williams color in Glidden paint, but I'm sure you could use any brand that prefer.

For this project, I used eggshell because I wanted the tile to have a matte look without being so flat that every finger print showed.

diy painted backsplash

diy painted backsplash

diy painted backsplash

Painting the existing backsplash saved quite a bit of money, so we were able to splurge on some nice granite countertops.

diy painted backsplash

Oliver approves!

Please Note: You could continue on with a sealant or a glaze, but I did not. The backsplash has been done for approximately six months now and does not have a single scratch! It has held up wonderfully!

diy painted backsplash

Now, this kitchen is ready for at least another 20 years of service!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvVY-SaAdKf/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cah3nqveetkq

• Wishy washy maybe

What an update ! Looks great!

I do wish the outlets weren't such a contrast. Maybe you could paint them also with this heavy duty paint.

• I had white cupboards once, and found that using a can of air was a good way to keep the corners free of dust instead of rubbing or using a tooth brush which eventually takes the paint off.