How do I paint a metal door?

+10

Can this cranberry colored metal door and frame be painted black ? It is on my front porch outside a wooden door.

q how do i paint a metal door
  • Our Crafty Mom Our Crafty Mom on Apr 30, 2019

Here is a tutorial for painting a steel door https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-a-Steel-Door

• You absolutely can! Just make sure you pick an exterior paint that's good for metal and follow the directions. Don't forget to tape off the glass and anything else you don't want painted.

• William William on Apr 30, 2019

Anything can be painted.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20steel%20door

• Ajohnsonfamily Ajohnsonfamily on May 01, 2019

Used Modern Masters and painted directly on to door after cleaning door thoroughly! Be sure to remove hardware and tape off areas that don’t need to be painted! Good luck hopes this helps....

• Renee Brown Renee Brown on May 01, 2019

I have the same door. I took it all apart and spray painted it after cleaning with asetone. It took 2 to 3 cans of $5 white spray paint from HD. I setup saw horses in back yard and did one side at a time. Paint in 3 thin layers to avoid drips. Use sand paper to remove dried drips or mistakes. Worked great and has no peeling and no scratches for 3 years now.

• Mogie Mogie on May 01, 2019

Yes it can. Prep is key and I would use a spray paint for a better and more uniform look. Just sand, prime and apply some Rustoleum. Remember to do many light coats so it doesn't run.

• Janice Janice on May 01, 2019

Yes, it can absolutely be painted. Just go through the appropriate preparation steps to insure a great product. Usually spray painting, especially on metal results in a better outcome (no brush or sponge brush marks). Be sure to mask off any areas you don't want painted. Black will be sophisticated! Take your time and be patient in the process.

• Darlene Williman Darlene Williman on May 01, 2019

All of the answers above are correct, the only thing I would add is to make sure that you remove any loose chipped or peeling paint then clean the metal part of the door thoroughly. Let dry and paint with metal paint. If there is a gloss finish on the current paint you may want to run fine grain sandpaper or clean with TSP to remove gloss so the new paint will stick better. As noted remove hardware and tape off glass and areas you don't want painted. Also, as you are going from a dark color to black you might not need to prime but it wouldn't hurt, just adds a step. I did my front door which is south facing in southern Virginia about 5 years ago and it is standing up well. Good Luck

• MEG MEG on May 01, 2019

Yes you can paint it although I like the cranberry color. You could even use a automotive paint that would withstand all the elements/weather and last a lifetime..

• Cindy p Cindy p on May 02, 2019

want to paint over head garage doors,and entrance doors.where can I get the automotive paint? and how exspensive?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 01, 2019

When I painted mine I sanded the rough spots, primed with a spray timer Rustoleum makes and then spray painted my color. Easier to do it outside. Tape any glass or you will be scraping the paint off with a razor.

• MEG MEG on May 02, 2019

Hi Cindy. I only know about it bc my husbands cousin redid her kitchen cabinets in a high gloss white that were gorgeous. I couldn't get over the finish and she told me they used automotive paint that will last a lifetime and be very durable and ez to clean/maintain. Makes sense bc how often do you paint your car? I guess try auto parts stores like Pep Boys or Auto Zone or google automotive paint and other uses. Trust me on this it came out absolutely stunning.

• Beth Beth on May 02, 2019

Cindy, all the others are correct, but there is one thing you need to consider. This is a storm door, and it is SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME COLOR AS YOUR FRONT DOOR! If your door is black, fine. But if it is not, painting the storm door any other color will make your front door appear small from the street.