Make Your Own Cornhole Boards!

$75

This is a fun project to make your own cornhole boards. Cornhole is a fun game that you can play in the backyard, while tailgating, or even in the basement. Tossing bean bags at a board with a hole in it -- how hard can it be? Right? :)

You can always visit me here for more!

I'd consider this project to be moderate in difficulty, but you can do it!

Step 1 - Wood and Cut Measurements

• (2) 24″ x 48″ pieces of 1/2″ plywood for the surface
  • (4) 2×4 x 48″ for the frame
  • (4) 2×4 x 21″ for the frame
  • (4) 2×4 x 11-1/2″ for the legs

Other materials you'll need

• (2) Handles
  • 2½” deck screws
  • (4) 3/8″ x 4″ carriage bolts with (4) washers and (4) wing nuts
  • 3/8″ drill bit and drill to make the holes
  • Primer paint
  • Exterior-grade paint
  • Polycrylic (gloss)

Don't forget your Cornhole Champ Shirt!

Step 2

Assemble 2x4 frames. 21" pieces inside the 48" pieces as to create a 2'x4' frame.

Step 3

Attach the plywood to the frames.

Step 4

Round over 1 end of each leg.

Measure 1/2" up from the square bottom, one side, of each leg and draw a line angled down to the opposite corner as seen in the photo. Cut on that line.

Step 5

Flip the platform over and attach the legs, drilling through the legs and cornhole boards at the pivot point. Use your thumb and index finger to determine the proper pivot point. It should be about 1.25" from the end, and 1.25" from the plywood.

Step 6

Finish drilling through the platform and install the bolts, washers and wingnuts as seen in the photos.

Step 7

Cut a 6 inch circle 9" down and 12" from each edge. Use a compass and jig saw or better yet, see where I got this Cornhole board saw that worked like a charm by clicking on my blog link below.

Step 8

Sand the entire piece and then prime it with a quality primer paint.

Once the primer is dry, tape off your design or apply finish paint. I'm making a few stripes...

Finally attach your handles and have a blast playing cornhole!

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Lizzie

Really attractive plus storable. Did you make your own bean bags? If so how big and with what material?

• Kathleen Vetter

hi I made my own. The size were 6x6. I used popcorn with each bag weighing 1 lb. each. Hope this helped!

• Mx BERRY

A what-what board? Never heard of it. Please tell me the rules and if you mean corn stalks ie the grass, or sweetcorn, the maize cob? Or sweetcorn kernels? (the bits that look like teeth) thanks! Im British.

• Mx BERRY

Thank you Angie yep it worked! So interesting, its not a game anyone seems to know in England. And fascinating that the Cornhole name is a reference to a trademark, that of a sink clog clearing product!!

• Darlene Combs

My son was just saying he wanted a set of these! Thanks for sharing this!

You did a great job!

• Gmama

We are making this and I am confused about where and how the legs are attached and the holes are drilled. Help.

• Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

The legs are attached at two corners underneath and inside the 2x4 frame. They're attached to the long 2x4s.

Step 5 describes how to attach the legs. You'll want to find the natural pivot point for the radius you made on one end of the legs, so they can pivot out of the way and store under the board properly when not in use.

Place the legs under the board as seen in the photo, and pivot the leg. When you pivot the leg, the spot on the leg that doesn't move is your pivot point - if you place your finger on the pivot point, your finger will not go up or down when you pivot the leg.

That's where the hole should be drilled through the legs and side of the board to attach the legs.

I hope that helps!