Natasha|Revamp_interior
Natasha|Revamp_interior
  • United Kingdom

Updating an IKEA Dresser Using Flamingo Fever Wallpaper

$55

I had an old chest of drawers from Ikea.

It housed my other half's clothes - his drawer if you like - before we moved in together.

I never really liked them. They were oak effect and didn't really fit in my room or my daughter's room which is now where it's found f it's new home.

It stood out like a sore thumb in a room full of white furniture.

I promised her I'd do something fun with it...

Boring Ikea chest of drawers
Boring Ikea chest of drawers

Like most little girls my 8 year old she is obsessed with flamingos and unicorn.

Her love for flamingos dates back to when she was 3. We went to a zoo and refused to leave the flamingo enclosure. She wanted to sit and watch them all day.

Fast forward nearly 6 years and she is still just in love with them. I decided with such a long lasting love affair, flamingos would be a safe bet (if she decides she hates them after this, I might disown her)

I found a print I thought would work well. Luckily I found it on eBay for £8.99 with free delivery. To my suprise it arrived within 3 days.

I bought some paint and some finishing spray for extra protection.

This project took me a long time to do.

Mainly because I hate lining up wallpaper and the chest was in use with all my daughter's belongings.

Basically I dragged my feet.

I started off with sanding the fronts drawer fronts and sides.

Then washed them down so there would be no dirt or greece on them.

Laying out the wallpaper I drew around the drawers and cut out the shapes.

I put modge podge glue over one of the cut out sections of paper and smoothed it over the drawer.

Repeat till each is covered.

I used a kitchen utensil from pamper chef. (No idea what it was meant to be for but it's great on wallpaper) using a sponge works too.

flamingo fever

Next you will need to line the paper up before cutting.

I found that sticking the paper to the drawer front first was easier to line up the pattern. Then once dry, turning over onto a flat surface and using a Stanley knife to cut around the drawer.

flamingo fever

I then chose to paint the rest.

Due to the material the chest is coated in I used rough sanding paper and gently rubbed against the surface.

Because Frenchic paint is thick it covers this without showing and of the grooves.

Pre paint
Pre paint

I also painted around the edges of the drawers too.

flamingo fever
Drawers finished
Drawers finished

I have a few coats of paint. Extra layers where I felt would get used/knocked the most.

Once dry I sprayed it all with a glitter finishing spray. This will ensure the paint doesn't chip. Plus she loves glitter.

I used this finishing spray
I used this finishing spray

This has a very fine glitter so it shimmers rather then sparkles. It's subtle therefore tasteful.

Finished
Finished

• Shawnda

Did you do the top in the wall paper or the paint? Just wondering which one and how is it holding up with use.

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

I painted the top, but equilly you could paper that too. Other projects I've papered the top.

I actually have a crate and some picture frames on top of this unit it's held up nicely.

The paint I've used (Frenchic) has primer and wax mixed into it so it's very good at not chipping. I used the finishing spray as an extra safety measure - because it's for my daughters room and you know what kids are like.

• Shawnda

Lol, yes I do know... that’s why I was asking. Thank you. I have a dresser I had in mind for my granddaughter. Thanks again for the inspiration!!

• N. G. Londonderry

You said you “painted the rest” of the bureau. However the sides don’t appear to be just one shade of pink. How did you get the effect there?

• Janice

I think the "shades" of pink you are seeing in the picture are just shadows from the nearby trees.

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

The spray was still wet and like Janice said there was likely shade from the trees too. It's all once shade of pink.

• Susan

What was daughters reaction?

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

She was very happy with it.

I really dragged my feet, stopping and starting it, so I didn't get a wow seeing as she'd seen most of it in stages but yeah she loves it.

Thanks x

• Tam 15076171

I too was wondering what your daughters reaction was? If she doesn't like I'll buy it and you can send it to Texas LOL cause I love it it is "very chic" as someone else said I have never seen wallpaper like that. To me this is a piece that she can even have in her room as a teen too because it is so chic looking. Good Job! Mom.

• Natasha|Revamp_interior

Haha thank you.

I actually do these to sell as well. However I think it would be easier for you to give this one a go. The cost of this from London to Texas could probably make you 20 of these 😂

• Cass Harris

I love everything about this!!!

• Peggy

This is so stinking adorable! I love it. I have an ikea dresser and you’ve given me some awesome ideas!