BBQ Deck : Privacy & Heat Proof

$100
1 Day

Hi there!

For Mother's Day, I bought myself a new BBQ. Compare to the one we had before, it is huge! I was already planning some changes for my patio, and this new baby pushed me to start right away!

As you can see on this picture, my deck really needs love! I didn't take a "before picture" but I took this one to show our new BBQ to hubby. You can see the railing behind. Our house was built in 1991 so our deck is almost 30 years!

I plan to paint the floor this summer but it is still too cold now.

I started by building the wall structure.

As you can see in this picture, I have several shrubs that are growing nearby and, when we BBQ, the leaves and branches burn. This is something that bothers me and that I wanted to fix with this new construction with galvanized steel.

On the horizontal 2x3, I screwed 1x6 boards on the lower part of the wall : 3 feet tall. To make a nicer finish, I added a 1x6 board that I screwed on the 2x3, giving a shelving effect. I did the same on the the top.

This was the tricky part of the job but I am so happy with the result, I even texted my husband to tell him : your wife is freaking hot!!

I needed a way to hold the steel sheet inside the 2x3. But the thing is : the sheet had some texture. Every 12 inches there was a bump of about 7/8" wide. I marked the ultimate center on each vertical pieces and, using a 1" wide bit, I drilled a hole that would contain the bump. Then, with my table saw, I made a groove, just the width of the blade, at the center of all pieces : horizontal & vertical.

Once the steel was framed, I installed it in the wall. And here it is : the final result. I love it!!

Outside view. Yeah, I know, I'll be working on the lower section ASAP!!

Time for a good BBQ!

I am really pleased with the look. My shrubs won't burn, my neighbors can not see me, and I can not see them anymore, but what's more, I love this urban, industrial, yet rustic look. This is what I call a win-win-win !!

To see how I made the cute leather stool, see link below.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/43300606/free-ish-pool-bar-stool

• Valerie Burge

Looks fabulous! Did you screw the fence into the house? The reason I ask, is I have a similar fence (not nearly as nice as yours!) running behind my BBQ that had been screwed to the house. And it was pulling the vinyl siding right off the house! I spent a big chunk of yesterday detaching the fence from the house to fix the siding. So now that 8 foot fence is basically free-standing there, only attached to a shorter fence on the other side. I'm wondering how to secure it to the deck - not the house! It looks like you have those post-support feet/bracket thing-ys on the bottom of yours? The base of the posts are not even visible on mine as they've done the standard two layer fence boards on it. Thinking I should just rip it down and do something like you did!

• Sarah

I'm obsessed with this entire idea. We live near the beach in a rapidly changing neighborhood. Our neighbors have an existing chain link fence that destroys the look of our block. My husband and I have tried for years to agree on a style of fence/privacy screen/gate, etc. and this post has saved the day. I can at least figure out how to not constantly see it without using lattice! So happy. You are incredibly talented! Look forward to people in the LBC copying you😁

• [re]FɄB19

Thank you so much Sarah! This is why I share my projects, for people like you!!

French being my motherthoung, I don't get what LBC means... 😊

• Lovesunique

Nice job and the added greenery looks great as well as the paint.