BBQ Deck : Privacy & Heat Proof

$100
1 Day

Hi there!

For Mother's Day, I bought myself a new BBQ. Compare to the one we had before, it is huge! I was already planning some changes for my patio, and this new baby pushed me to start right away!

As you can see on this picture, my deck really needs love! I didn't take a "before picture" but I took this one to show our new BBQ to hubby. You can see the railing behind. Our house was built in 1991 so our deck is almost 30 years!

I plan to paint the floor this summer but it is still too cold now.

I started by building the wall structure.

As you can see in this picture, I have several shrubs that are growing nearby and, when we BBQ, the leaves and branches burn. This is something that bothers me and that I wanted to fix with this new construction with galvanized steel.

On the horizontal 2x3, I screwed 1x6 boards on the lower part of the wall : 3 feet tall. To make a nicer finish, I added a 1x6 board that I screwed on the 2x3, giving a shelving effect. I did the same on the the top.

This was the tricky part of the job but I am so happy with the result, I even texted my husband to tell him : your wife is freaking hot!!

I needed a way to hold the steel sheet inside the 2x3. But the thing is : the sheet had some texture. Every 12 inches there was a bump of about 7/8" wide. I marked the ultimate center on each vertical pieces and, using a 1" wide bit, I drilled a hole that would contain the bump. Then, with my table saw, I made a groove, just the width of the blade, at the center of all pieces : horizontal & vertical.

Once the steel was framed, I installed it in the wall. And here it is : the final result. I love it!!

Outside view. Yeah, I know, I'll be working on the lower section ASAP!!

Time for a good BBQ!

I am really pleased with the look. My shrubs won't burn, my neighbors can not see me, and I can not see them anymore, but what's more, I love this urban, industrial, yet rustic look. This is what I call a win-win-win !!

To see how I made the cute leather stool, see link below.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/43300606/free-ish-pool-bar-stool

• Valerie Burge

Looks fabulous! Did you screw the fence into the house? The reason I ask, is I have a similar fence (not nearly as nice as yours!) running behind my BBQ that had been screwed to the house. And it was pulling the vinyl siding right off the house! I spent a big chunk of yesterday detaching the fence from the house to fix the siding. So now that 8 foot fence is basically free-standing there, only attached to a shorter fence on the other side. I'm wondering how to secure it to the deck - not the house! It looks like you have those post-support feet/bracket thing-ys on the bottom of yours? The base of the posts are not even visible on mine as they've done the standard two layer fence boards on it. Thinking I should just rip it down and do something like you did!

• MB

I love it. I just built a small deck for my husband two Valentines ago. I wanted to build something like this but was running out of time before he returned from his deployment. I considered doing something like this using those big concrete blocks for the posts but am worried even if attached to the other corners or sides if it would tip over. I am sorry I may have missed if you put more details in construction. How tall did you build yours? I could anchor to deck just like you but my deck is only sitting on top of concrete stones and not secured to the ground. I was wondering if you or anyone else may help with my dilemna. I am reaching out because it takes me months to years to do somethings because of overthinking, replanning, or scared to waste materials. Luckily so far I only have a large collection of screws and anchors. Thank you

• [re]FɄB19

Mine is 8 ft tall and about 5 ft large.

Could you post a picture plz ?

• Linda Abate

Way to go. What an awesome design and great privacy wall as well as a protective wall from the grill to the trees on the other side. Love how you incorporated the corrugated steel with the wood. A job to be proud of.

• Kimmyk

You're a bad azz! I hope to be proficient with power tools some day.

• [re]FɄB19

Just practice on small projetcs, then you will become the bas azz ! ;)