BBQ Deck : Privacy & Heat Proof

$100
1 Day

Hi there!

For Mother's Day, I bought myself a new BBQ. Compare to the one we had before, it is huge! I was already planning some changes for my patio, and this new baby pushed me to start right away!

post

As you can see on this picture, my deck really needs love! I didn't take a "before picture" but I took this one to show our new BBQ to hubby. You can see the railing behind. Our house was built in 1991 so our deck is almost 30 years!

I plan to paint the floor this summer but it is still too cold now.

post

I started by building the wall structure.

As you can see in this picture, I have several shrubs that are growing nearby and, when we BBQ, the leaves and branches burn. This is something that bothers me and that I wanted to fix with this new construction with galvanized steel.

post

On the horizontal 2x3, I screwed 1x6 boards on the lower part of the wall : 3 feet tall. To make a nicer finish, I added a 1x6 board that I screwed on the 2x3, giving a shelving effect. I did the same on the the top.

bbq deck privacy heat proof

This was the tricky part of the job but I am so happy with the result, I even texted my husband to tell him : your wife is freaking hot!!

I needed a way to hold the steel sheet inside the 2x3. But the thing is : the sheet had some texture. Every 12 inches there was a bump of about 7/8" wide. I marked the ultimate center on each vertical pieces and, using a 1" wide bit, I drilled a hole that would contain the bump. Then, with my table saw, I made a groove, just the width of the blade, at the center of all pieces : horizontal & vertical.

bbq deck privacy heat proof

Once the steel was framed, I installed it in the wall. And here it is : the final result. I love it!!

bbq deck privacy heat proof

Outside view. Yeah, I know, I'll be working on the lower section ASAP!!

bbq deck privacy heat proof
bbq deck privacy heat proof
bbq deck privacy heat proof

Time for a good BBQ!

I am really pleased with the look. My shrubs won't burn, my neighbors can not see me, and I can not see them anymore, but what's more, I love this urban, industrial, yet rustic look. This is what I call a win-win-win !!

bbq deck privacy heat proof

To see how I made the cute leather stool, see link below.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/43300606/free-ish-pool-bar-stool

• Valerie Burge

Looks fabulous! Did you screw the fence into the house? The reason I ask, is I have a similar fence (not nearly as nice as yours!) running behind my BBQ that had been screwed to the house. And it was pulling the vinyl siding right off the house! I spent a big chunk of yesterday detaching the fence from the house to fix the siding. So now that 8 foot fence is basically free-standing there, only attached to a shorter fence on the other side. I'm wondering how to secure it to the deck - not the house! It looks like you have those post-support feet/bracket thing-ys on the bottom of yours? The base of the posts are not even visible on mine as they've done the standard two layer fence boards on it. Thinking I should just rip it down and do something like you did!

• Karen

YOU ARE HOT !!! Great Job....I just might copy it a bit. I am using metal roofing panels cut down for skirting on my mobile home right now. And I was Thinking how can I make a privacy fence with them....BRAVO!!

My panels are 3 ft wide so either very tall wall horizontally or cut them down or just go vertically. YES!!

Oh Hey, Did you make those wooden slats on the deck walls movable like shutters? I thought I saw something you used to operate them.

Girl you must have been in my head this past week.

2 things I Just been thinking about trying out myself.

FABULOUS !!!

Thanks

• [re]FɄB19

Thank you so much Karen! :)

Yes, the planks move just like shutters. It is fantastic to control the view, the wind, the sound... Really is a MUST-HAVE! It is very easy to install with a kit you can buy at Home Depot... It is called Deck Sunblind System from Pylex and it costs around $25 for maybe 10 blinds/planks...

https://pylex.com/en/products/11060-deck-sunblind-system

It doesn't show on those pictures, (see new pictures taken since my last reply!) , but I painted every plank in black and I love it! It's like if the eyes don't see them and when wide open, we can enjoy the view as if they didn't exist! I'm almost done with my deck and I wish someone else would have done it so I could say that it is gorgeous! loll Since I made everything myself, I must remain humble.

Show me pics of your project and don't hesitate if you need help... I will gladly share what I've learned!

• Sarah

I'm obsessed with this entire idea. We live near the beach in a rapidly changing neighborhood. Our neighbors have an existing chain link fence that destroys the look of our block. My husband and I have tried for years to agree on a style of fence/privacy screen/gate, etc. and this post has saved the day. I can at least figure out how to not constantly see it without using lattice! So happy. You are incredibly talented! Look forward to people in the LBC copying you😁

• [re]FɄB19

Thank you so much Sarah! This is why I share my projects, for people like you!!

French being my motherthoung, I don't get what LBC means... 😊