Mary from Real Girl's Realm
Mary from Real Girl's Realm
  • Winston Salem, NC

Colorful Painted Bar Stools

$10

We recently gave our kitchen a modern makeover, so I wanted to update our brown bar stools to match the colorful new vibe. Initially, I only planned on painting the legs and leaving the leather seat, but I ended up not liking how it looked so, I recovered the seat as well.

colorful painted bar stools

We purchased these brown bar stools many years ago from Target and they were still in good condition so I did not want to get rid of them. But, they were much too dark for the new light gray kitchen.

colorful painted bar stools

It was easy to remove the seat cushion. I just flipped it over and removed the 4 screws.

colorful painted bar stools

I gave them 3 coats of Candy Apple Red spray paint by Rust-Oleum. This is after one coat. Make sure you flip them over to get all the nooks and crannies. Once they are dry, you can reattach the cushions.

colorful painted bar stools

At first, I was just going to put the brown cushions back on, but it was way too dark with the bright red. So, I grabbed some leftover fabric from when we recovered our outdoor chair cushions and set to work. I cut the fabric so it would fold a few inches over each side of the cushion.

colorful painted bar stools

Please note this is my fist time doing this, so it is not the most professional job, but it works for me. I folded one side over and stapled into place, then repeated on the opposite side.

colorful painted bar stools

On the ends, I pretty much just folded it like wrapping a present (which I am not that good at) and stapled it closed. I tried to keep the fabric as tight as possible. Once the cushions were all covered, I screwed them back onto the stool legs.

colorful painted bar stools

The result is bright and cheery and I can easily change out the fabric any time I want.

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Lee

Love it! Good color choices. I know there is an easy way to miter those corners without the folds, but I always forget myself how to do it.

• Jan

I love it !! And I cannot believe that we have the same kitchen makeover with the same brown barstools !!!! I am now very inspired !!! Thank you for the vision !!’