Colorful Painted Bar Stools

$10

We recently gave our kitchen a modern makeover, so I wanted to update our brown bar stools to match the colorful new vibe. Initially, I only planned on painting the legs and leaving the leather seat, but I ended up not liking how it looked so, I recovered the seat as well.

We purchased these brown bar stools many years ago from Target and they were still in good condition so I did not want to get rid of them. But, they were much too dark for the new light gray kitchen.

It was easy to remove the seat cushion. I just flipped it over and removed the 4 screws.

I gave them 3 coats of Candy Apple Red spray paint by Rust-Oleum. This is after one coat. Make sure you flip them over to get all the nooks and crannies. Once they are dry, you can reattach the cushions.

At first, I was just going to put the brown cushions back on, but it was way too dark with the bright red. So, I grabbed some leftover fabric from when we recovered our outdoor chair cushions and set to work. I cut the fabric so it would fold a few inches over each side of the cushion.

Please note this is my fist time doing this, so it is not the most professional job, but it works for me. I folded one side over and stapled into place, then repeated on the opposite side.

On the ends, I pretty much just folded it like wrapping a present (which I am not that good at) and stapled it closed. I tried to keep the fabric as tight as possible. Once the cushions were all covered, I screwed them back onto the stool legs.

The result is bright and cheery and I can easily change out the fabric any time I want.

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• MH

Nice job! They came out beautiful! Did you apply any sort of protection against moisture (spray) to the fabric? Which one? Did you do it before or after attaching the fabric to the chair?