Turn a Cardboard Box Into a Pretty Storage

$10

We all have cardboard box home and they are the cheapest storage boxes. It works fine for the garage or the basement but you definitely don't want to use them in the living rooms....Well you may change your mind after seeing this simple upgrade.

Head over to my blog for more pictures and details to recycle a cardboard box into pretty storage.

turn a coardboard box into a pretty storage

With a baby home, what I have the most are diaper boxes, but the upgrade works with any cardboard box that's useful to you.

Start by painting the box with a few coat of white acrylic paint until the box design is completely covered. I didn't paint the inside, lazy me, but it definitely looks better if you do. As you can see I painted the flaps because I wanted to fold them inside to have a nice edge on the top and also to make the box a little more sturdy! The key here is to use a very good paint if you don't want to loose your mind applying 10 coats to cover the labels.

Once the box is paint and dry, glue the flaps inside the box.

Cut 4 pieces of the L wood trim, the lenght of the wood pieces is the same as the box high. And glue a piece of wood on each corner of the box, hold with some clamps while the glue dries. If you wonder you can find L shaped wood trim in your hardware store, likely in the "doors" or "carpentry" aisle.

To make the handle, cut a piece of square section dowel. To look nice, the lenght of the handle must be more or less half of the box width. Cut a piece of faux leather and wrap it around the wood. I used on one side of the box.

And done! You have a pretty box storage almost for free!

If you like recycling project I have a all bunch of ideas on my blog, to have a look at.

Amaryllis

• Lisa West

Wow. I have luvs and huggies turned into storage fixed to. I used fabric in some and scrap book paper for a couple others. I so do agree. Why throw out a perfect box. Look great to. Thank you for sharing. Queation though did you use hot glue or another type of glue?

• Rachael

I have leftover paint from painting my daughter's room, it's interior wall paint Can I use this paint for this project?

• Amaryllis

Hello Rachel, yes you can. I used leftover paint from my desk painting.

• Margot

I love the wallpaper in the background! Is it still available?

• Amaryllis

Hello Margot, It's fabric. I live in Mexico and I bought it in Telas Bayon.

• Valerie Cairns

I have just stacked three cardboard boxes some extra living room storage, and was wondering how to make them look more attractive. Your idea was great, I particularly liked the wood trim to strengthen the corners

• Katherine Somma

This is great, definitely putting on my to do list which is getting longer