Franny Monaghan Lathe
Franny Monaghan Lathe
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Westminster, MD

Not Your Everyday Flower Pot.

$5

I am starting to get my yard ready for summer, as I'm sure most of you are as well, and I needed some plant pots. I went looking through my shed for some flower pots and instead, I came across these safety cones. And you know what, I thought why not. They already had a drainage hole at the top, so they were the perfect choice. Here we go.

not your everyday flower pot

They were a little dirty so I first just cleaned them up a bit. And then they were ready to go.

not your everyday flower pot

Then I dug a hole in my flower bed just deep enough so that they could stand there and wouldn't be able to fall over. I placed each cone in each hole.

not your everyday flower pot

Then I filled them to the top with some dirt and planted a petunia in each one. They look so sweet!

not your everyday flower pot

And that's it! I'm glad I chanced upon this great repurpose! Can't wait to see what they look like when the petunias start to grow. It really gives my garden a different and fun look. Let me know what you think.

• Tsa Mgn

Doesn't the rubber cones burn the flowers in the summer?????

• Dawn
      21 hours ago

I’ve tried something similar to this but the plants struggled and eventually had to remove them. The rubber holds the heat from the sun and makes the soil too hot for the roots. It is a very cute garden idea though with the different levels. I’ve used clay drain tiles and chimney flues for planters like this also.

• Jeretta

This is and looks lie a great idea, I make Christmas trees out of them.Why not flower pots? I will try this. You can get the little ones at the dollar tree for a dollar. If it works it is a great idea, and inexpensive! Thank you for sharing.

• Mar

i'm a little confused..what's the point of flowers in a "cone container" IN the flower bed? why not just plant the beautiful flowers directly into that lovely flowerbed as nature intended?

• Mar

Yes and Hi Beth; i agree i love natural best, perhaps is pictures were shown with the flowers bursting in bloom down to the ground i might have a different opinion?

• Lovesunique

Why not, in deed. Great repurpose, but since I like blue in the garden I would paint over the orange!

• FloridaJan

Ive had a mole invasion, they tunnel under plants stopping water uptake so this idea is great & I’ll put cones edges level with ground surface. Thanks awesome idea.