Courtney
Courtney
  • Moline, IL

DIY Plant Shelves to Transform Any Space!

$30

With a growing plant collection, it was time to finally give my plant babies what they deserve - a plant shelf, or two!

I’m guessing plants like friends? They seem to grow better when with or near other plants.

LET’S GET RIGHT TO IT, BUILD YOURSELF SOME SIMPLE PLANT SHELVES!

Materials:

Wood

Brackets

Screws

Polycrylic

Spray paint

Tools:

Table saw

Drill

Paint brush

diy plant shelves to transform any space

ONE

Cut the wood to size based on how long and deep you want your shelves. Mine are 36 inches long and 8.5 inches deep. We used some thick plywood we had on hand, but you could use any type of wood.

TWO

Paint the polycrylic on the wood shelves. If you don’t like the natural look, you could always paint or stain them.

THREE

Spray paint the brackets. We already had a few brackets on hand, but you can buy all types at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Mine were black and I wanted them to be gold.

FOUR

Screw the brackets into the wall and then attach the wood shelves to the brackets.

Side note - We used black screws. I don’t mind how it looks, but you could spray paint the screws if you wanted. However, the paint may come off once you screw them into the wall.

FIVE

Add your plant babies!

Want more photos of this project and additional links to information about the plants? Find it all here!

Courtney

• Bob Schulenberg

Do the plants get enough light?

It doesn’t appear that there’s a window nearby or an arrangement of plant grow lights.

You might eventually have more luck with artificial plants.

• Charise.

This looks great! ...clearly, there is light coming from somewhere...notice the shadow?

• Jacx

Use a small brush dipped into the paint color to color the screws. If it's spray paint, make a small well in aluminium foil so you can dip in the brush. I paint all my screws, switch plates if needs be, metal wall decorations. It's easy to just use acrylics for this as they come in all finisheds, metallic as well.

• Beth

Shelves are a home essential, aren't they?! I must say, though, that the raw edges of these would look so much better with some iron-on wood tape.

• Courtney

They are an essential! If that’s the look you like, I’m sure it would look great in your home.