How do I get rid of weeds in my large paddle cactus?

+8

I have a large cactus, each year I get my big rubber gloves to pull weeds. It’s time consuming and tedious. Any tips on getting and keeping the weeds out. Please help me. I end up picking needles out of my arms.

• Darlene Riggs Darlene Riggs on May 05, 2019

Mix salt with vinegar place in a sprayer or spray bottle and spray just on weeds.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 05, 2019

If you follow Col's directions you will have to protect your plant from the spray, it will harm it too from the overspray. To do this, cut the top and bottom out of a plastic jug, pop bottle, or a plastic container and cover the weed with the container and then spray the weed with the suggested mixture.

You might try blocking the weeds with cardboard and mulch. I have not had much luck with weed blocking fabric, you might. Best to you.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on May 05, 2019

I would use the vinegar spray and lots of pea-sized pebbles. Every time a weed pops through the pebbles, squirt it with the spray and it will die. Don’t spray the cactus. I wonder what the thorns keep away, beside people. Maybe they are for bird perches.

• Little Sprouts Learning Little Sprouts Learning on May 06, 2019

What about a long handled hoe? That might be just what you need.

• Belinda Belinda on May 06, 2019

I’ve tried the long handled hoe, but there are so many weeds and underneath the paddles, I jut get frustrated so I try to pull them out with roots. Seems like I am making room for more. Thank you for answering.

• Belinda Belinda on May 06, 2019

Thank you.