Wendy Stilwell Farricy
Wendy Stilwell Farricy
  • Edgewater, FL

Road Side, Love at First Site

$50

My sister came to visit. Off to the beach we go, until I spotted this handsome piece on the side of the road. I apologize up front for any missing information. First post for me.

road side love at first site

Drawers stuck, two broken feet but all there. My vision for this piece is masculine.

road side love at first site

Glued on feet and treated for termites. As one foot had signs of old infestation. Waited three months before beginning project. Wanted to make sure no termites.

road side love at first site

Decided to paint it red, after one coat of Behr premium flat paint you can see the bleed through. Used two coats. Was not concerned as I intended to glaze.

road side love at first site

Sanded the drawer fronts with 80/grit, then 120/grit. All drawers were previously labeled for the correct order.

road side love at first site

Used min wax dark walnut stain. Ended up using three coats of poly. ( varathane) triple thick water based clear satin.

road side love at first site

Painted the ball in the feet with folk art metallic antique gold, to match hardware. Sorry no pictures of the hardware process.

road side love at first site

Found a picture I liked on Pinterest, used it as a template to stain this eagle's head.

road side love at first site

Applied one coat of poly, before glazing with pitch black general finishes glaze effects. As the paint was flat and wanted the glaze to move smoothly.

road side love at first site

You can see here the gold hardware. I put holes in cardboard and secured with original screws applied gold spray paint. Three light coats. Labeled all hardware as to install back into correct drawers.

road side love at first site

Highlighted the inside with the same folk art gold. Stain and poly for the rest.

road side love at first site

All drawers and drawer rails were waxed with Behr decorative finish wax. This worked great! No more sticking drawers. Although I purchased a lot of this projects materials for this purpose. I used very little. The actual cost is an estimate.

• Wanda

Do you know the value of finished piece??

I have one. Just.like yours , . Not as prettmy

Finished Too old to try to do mine. Love 💘 itt

• Sunny

Love the look, but a little confused..what exactly is the pitch black stuff? Glaze or wax. I have never used either, but love this look. Thanks!

• Carol
    21 hours ago

How do you get the inserts out of desk that is in the inside?