How to Add Privacy to French Doors for Only $13

$13

Learn how to find an original and economical way to add privacy to French doors. It will save you lots of money for a beautiful look!

The master bedroom is located in the basement. When we bought the house, French doors with clear glass were already there.

Just a little note before explaining everything : I tried to use what I already had at home because this DIY was made during the $100 Room challenge where my whole master bedroom was made for less than $100.

Therefore, you'll see that my pattern is made of 2 pieces. This is because I only had 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock (letter size). To simplify your life, use a larger size, like the 8-1/2 x 14 (legal size) so you can have a pattern in one piece!

Measure the glass on your doors and make sure that the cut-out pattern (the file you'll find in my library) is the right size. If it's not the case, adjust it in the Cricut design space or other software.

Cut the pattern in the cardstock and place one piece at the time at the bottom of the cardboard box and spray the adhesive.

Apply the pattern on the glass.

Then, use a plastic shower curtain to act as a privacy film. Cut the shower curtain into rectangles that fits each windows.

Again, use the box and spray one piece at a time with the spray adhesive. Press the shower curtain on the glass over the cardstock pattern that you just installed.

This is the final result from the inside of the bedroom.

What I like the most, it's that the view from outside the bedroom is totally different! Check it out :

I know I could have done it with film or spray, but I love the originality of this solution! Don't you?

NeliDesign

• Laurie Sharpe Moller

I love this idea! How do you clean the windows and does the window ever have condensation so the pieces fall off? I’m thinking every winter it would come off??

• Susan Mathis

Your doors are on the inside of your house they would not build up any type of frost fog moisture any of that stuff

• Peg

Could you take these off later if you wanted to?

• Susan Prendergast

If you might want to take them off later, use liquid starch to adhere. Or if you want, spray starch in a can, sprayed in a deep big box. Paint the starch on with a foam brush or roller. It might be condensation unfriendly, so maybe not a basement. No scraping afterwards. Just pull the stuff off, wetting it first; use a spray bottle for water, and maybe a teeny amount of laundry softener. Then wash off.

• Thelma Little

How do I build a floating deck over old patio

• Debi

I did a similar privacy idea on an outside door. I simply used clear contact paper on the glass. The clear comes out looking frosted. A stencil design can easily be cut out with an exacto knife.

• Hammer

I would be concerned about the durability of the project to be very slight and not long looking like . I would also be concerned about the spray pattern of the glue showing. I think a better way of doing this would’ve been to apply your paper patterns, if it’s still your choice, and then spray the windows with a matte clear. You can adjust the amount of light penetration with a number of coats of matte clear that you lay down. This will provide you with a much better and more durable surface I that it could be reasonably cleaned.