Bella Renovare
Bella Renovare
  • Cheyenne, WY

How To Easily Transform A Boring Sofa Table Into A Farmhouse Gem

$50

This piece used to have doors and a slate top. It was less than fun, dare I say boringgggg. So I did what I do and transformed her. This was a custom piece for one of my favorite clients so I did it neutral and farmhouse because I really like her lol. Otherwise you know I probably would have painted it 75 different colors. I think this looks suits her soooo much better!

how to easily transform a boring sofa table into a farmhouse gem
Let's Get This Farmhouse Transformation Started!

The first thing I did was remove the slate top by flipping the table upside down. There were screws holding the slate into the table. The slate easily came out once I removed all of the screws.

I needed to build a brace for the new pine boards I would put on the top of this piece. I measured the pieces of wood and then cut them to size with my miter saw. I put three boards going across and then screwed those in with the trim screws.

For the new top I used 1x6 and 1x8 pine boards. I needed to measure and fit them on the top. DO NOT screw them down yet. This is what I like to call a dry fit. I dry fitted these boards and then set them aside to work on the rest of the piece. Let's get this baby looking farmhouse styling.

Once you are done dry measuring and fitting, set those aside. There used to be doors on this piece so the next thing i did was plug the holes from the preexisting hinges. I used the Dixie Belle Mud and plugged the holes. Once the mud was dried I used my sand paper and sanded away the dry mud so it was smooth.

Once I plugged and sanded all the holes, I cleaned and prepped my piece really well. I used Buttercream by Dixie Belle, it is the perfect farmhouse color. Buttercream is a warm white shade that just adds warmth and farmhouse goodness to any room! I used the Oval Small brush as well. I put two coats of the paint on and once it dried I distressed it with the sandpaper.

Finishing Off The Top Of The Piece

After I painted and distressed the bottom of the console table, I put the pine boards back on the top. Once I lined up all the boards I used the trim screws and screwed the boards into the table. You will want to make sure the screws go in to where you will need to use wood filler.

My favorite stainable wood filler is Elmer's. I filled all the holes with the wood filler. After it dried I used the sand paper to sand it down as well.

Finishing This Farmhouse Console!

I stained the top of the piece with Dixie Belle's No Pain Gel Stain in Espresso. I taped all around the wood so that the paint would not get stain on it. I used a rag to stain the piece. I wiped the stain on the wood and then used a clean cloth to wipe the excess stain back. Nothing says farmhouse like Dixie Belle's Buttercream Paint and Espresso stain!

Don't you LOVE this major transformation?!?!?!? I would say this is a WIN in the book of farmhouse transformations!!

Bella Renovare

• Soni Biehl

What did you do with the slate?

• Pam

Wondering why you used Dixie Belle mud to fill some holes and Elmer's wood filler for the other holes?

• Pam

Gotcha. Afterwards I looked up Dixie Belle mud and it comes in different colors so she probably got one to match the paint?