Val7394925
Val7394925
  • Roseville, CA

Does anyone have personal experience growing kangaroo paws?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomLynn SorrellKaioverbeck

I have referenced lots of written info, the paws made it through winter and produced lots of flowers and does not look as good now. Any hands on hints? Thanks

• Kaioverbeck

Yes and it is extra invasive. I will Never get rid of it. In one wintered over plant area there may a hundred bulbs beginning to grow and so it goes. If I were writing a column about the worst plant to mess up a garden it is the kangaroo. Now, I tried putting some of the bulbs in a barrel and they never thrives. I just keep pulling them up.

• Lynn Sorrell

They need full sun and very dry/drought tolerant conditions; is it indoors? outdoors? where do you live? how long have you had it? Signs of Ink Spot disease? The fungus manifests itself as blackening of leaves and stems,means overwatering. Here's great info. on care after blooming Kangaroo paws are very giving plants when they flower, but flowering comes at a cost to the plant in energy. So once the stems die back, plant tops can look sick or half dead, when in fact it is just full of dead stems and browned off foliage. https://www.gardeningwithangus.com.au/renew-your-kangaroo-paw/