Bj
Bj
  • Milwaukee, WI

What plants should you plant that are safe for big dogs & resilient?

Nancy TurnerGkKelli L. Milligan

What plants/flowers can you plant in a shadey/ sunny area that will look nice & be safe & resilient towards big dogs?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Visit your local nursery to get more information for your area and project. I know of nothing big dog proof.

• Gk

If you want to protect your plants from big dogs use some push in fencing. That is how I keep my big dogs away from my plants. I have many large perennials around my house that my dogs would love to destroy if I let them. They used to dig in my gardens to lie in the cool dirt next to the house. Not any more! Daylilies, peonies, hydrangeas are what I have as well as hostas.

• Nancy Turner

I agree with both Kelli and Gk. No plant will survive big dogs if they want to trample, dig or chew unless you put up some type of fencing. I plant my pole beans at the front of my garden fence so they grow up the fence. I have one dog that loves to eat the horrible fuzzy leaves that grow out the fence and there isn't anything I can do except hope she doesn't kill the whole plant pulling the leaves off. At least I still get beans off the plants! Leaves on the bottom are not required.