Transform an Old Appliance for Under $20

$19

As we are finishing up our kitchen renovation, I found myself torn up about my toaster oven. I’ve had this Hamilton Beach toaster oven for over 10 years and I love it. It’s functional and ok, maybe I have a little bit of a sentimental attachment to it. So when I realized that the red wasn’t going to look good in our new kitchen design, I needed to come up with a plan.

A few people suggested that I give it a good cleaning and then paint it with some high heat spray paint to give it a little facelift. A matte black toaster oven for under $20? What did I have to lose right?

First step in making this a black toaster oven was making this a clean one

Once it was clean and completely dry, I tapped off everything with blue painters tape. I was very generous with the tape to make sure none of the chrome or stainless steel parts were accidentally painted matte black. 

Then I used  this high heat matte black spray paint  and got to work. It coated very easily and dried quickly. I started with the back of the toaster oven so that I could get used to the spray paint. Once that was dry, I did the front. I used a small piece of cardboard to over the opening when the glass door was open and the red lip on the inside needed to be painted.

I am THRILLED with how it turned out. It looks just perfect in the new kitchen. This little black toaster oven is now just the perfect combination of new and completely used.

Alice Faggi

• Liz

Did any of the paint get inside the toaster oven through the vents? Would this cause a paint smell in the oven?

• Nancy

Years ago, we inherited a refrigerator from my in-laws who were renovating their kitchen. It had a freezer drawer on the bottom, and I loved the style. After about five years, it broke down. It had to be about 25 years old altogether, so we replaced it. I’m telling this story because we noticed a huge difference in our electric bill (downward) after we got our new fridge, and it was due to its being an energy efficient model. Some states have free energy evaluations to help you decide if it’s worth it to keep an old appliance and will give you a rebate towards a new one.

• Kat

Way not clean it with proxcid?

• K

Maybe she did use peroxide. It doesn't specify what she used. No matter what, there was still the step of painting it afterwards.

• Terrie Cox

I wonder if i can do the same thing with a microwave?

• Phyllis

What an awesome makeover! It looks great and I bet it would work on the microwave just fine. Great idea!

• Mary

Automotive stores carry “engine enamel “ in orange and red too for high heat racing engines....would work great. I use the red all the time in my home shop to renovate old garden tools, appliances, and any manner of metal items that need a restoration. Good luck!