Make a Minimal Art & Magazine Display Ladder

$20

I wasn't really sure how to describe this display ladder because it can be used to display magazines, art, photos or you can use it as a noticeboard. You can also hang light throws, scarves and more.

I made it as more of an art display for myself as I love printing out images and words and hanging them up. I also love switching them around often so this ladder has been great for that. I also ended up using it for hanging all kinds of bits and pieces like magazines, fabric samples and more. I intentionally kept the design simple as I'm a big fan of keeping things minimal.

You can see a few more pics on my blog: https://yourdiyfamily.com/2018/04/display-your-art-and-more-on-this-diy-hanging-dowel-ladder/

make a minimal art magazine display ladder

Here's how to make this ladder:

MATERIALS:

wooden dowels (15mm)

hand saw

drill

sandpaper

black acrylic paint & paintbrush

5mm thick rope

1.Cut your dowels to size using your hand saw. I went for 45 cms long. Sand edges until smooth.

2. Now drill holes approx 1.5cms in from the edge of your cut dowels on both ends. I used a 6mm drill part.

3. Paint your dowels and leave to dry. You can also leave them in natural wood if you prefer.

4. On the first rung, double thread the rope through the hole to create a loop at the top – this is to hang your ladder. Under the loop, make a tight knot. Leave some spare rope in case you need to do any adjusting – you can always trim it later.

5. Continue to thread your rope through the rest of the holes on one side – making a tight knot under each hole. I kept a different amount of spacing between each rung so I could hang different sized things.

6. Now do the other side – making sure the spacing is exactly the same on both sides. I did this by placing a heavy book in between the rungs as my spacer.

7. Hang your ladder up and make any adjustments to the rungs if they aren’t straight or if you want to change the spacing slightly. Once you’re happy with it, tie a double knot under the first rung and the last rung.

8. Finally trim off any excess rope.

This ladder looks pretty as it's so simple in design and is handy too. If you prefer a more colourful look, you can of course paint the dowels in any colour and use a contrasting rope.

Nomita | your DIY family