Free(ish) Pool Bar Stool

$15
1 Day

Hi all! I made a stool from leftover wood and fabric I had. I am not sharing how I built the stool because it is no big deal : 4 legs, a seat and some cross bars. What I want to show you, is how it went from very ordinary to pretty nice and luxurious, well... for a deck!

! :)

With Rust O leum Painter's touch, I spray painted it in black.

I cut pool noodles in half (to create semi circles). Each one was 15" long. I marked a line every 2 1/4" on the seat, as each 1/2 noodle was 2 1/4" wide.

I cut some leatherette a little wider than the length of the noodles.

With hot glue, I glued each of the pool noodle on the seat, carefully following the lines.

After I glued a noodle, I fixed the leatherette with a staple gun, and repeated until all the noodles were fixed and covered by the fabric.

Once I was done, I could see the staples and I didn't like it... So I decided to insert jute ropes in each gap.

With my staple gun, I fixed the rope on the wood, at both ends, pulling the rope as tight as possible. I then fixed the fabric, still with the staple gun, creating a 'V' shaped pleat.

The skirt! Many of you are trying to avoid the sewing machine. Personally, I know how to sew and I like it, but I'll admit that I avoided sewing during this project to make it easier for those who would like to reproduce it, but I could not bring myself to use glue to close the skirt of my stool, it could never be as sturdy. I decided that the skirt would be 5 inches tall. I cut kodel of this width and leatherette about 1 1/2" wider to have enough fabric to create a hem at the top and bottom.

EDIT : here's a sketch that I hope will help you understand how the skirt is built. :)

After closing the skirt with my sewing machine, I used my heat gun to glue the hems.

To install the skirt on the stool, I gently slip the skirt, taking care to place it slightly above the wood, which you will feel with your fingers.

Once the skirt was installed, I noticed that a staple was still visible. I simply used a "long nose" grip to remove it. With the amount of staples I put, I knew that one more or less would not change much!

For finishing, I decided to put upholstery nails. I had never used this before, and I must admit that I was really afraid it would turned to be uneven. I went to visit my local fabric store, and found something really hot! A band of decorative headnails, on which we must nail a real one every 5 studs. They were selling a rubber hammer, but I did not want to spend money on something I was about certain I would never use it again! So I used my old and faithful hammer, which I covered with kodel using a rubber band.

Here is the final result! I caught one of my boy having a snack after school... It was finished just 5 minutes ago! Someone already loves the new place!

My husband likes it so much, he is afraid someone will steal it! I am happy with the result. I will make another one soon.

Hope you enjoyed!

Have a nice summer!

To see how I made the privacy screen, see link below.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/43294397/bbq-deck-privacy-heat-proof

• Cassie

Does water collect in the valleys between the noodles?

• Lori Patterson

That’s awesome I’m going to try and make a couple of them .!!! Thank You So Much For Sharing....!!! ❤️

• Eva Kisocama

It looks awesome, but with the foam noodle & leatherette material does it get too hot to sit on outside in the sun?

• Lanelle Causey Schramm

Not a question, just to tell you it looks amazing. Now do two more and your bar will be perfect. You can't have just one bar stool and two is an even number so you have to have three. Be blessed my friend.