[re]FɄB19
[re]FɄB19
  • Canada

Free(ish) Pool Bar Stool

$15
1 Day

Hi all! I made a stool from leftover wood and fabric I had. I am not sharing how I built the stool because it is no big deal : 4 legs, a seat and some cross bars. What I want to show you, is how it went from very ordinary to pretty nice and luxurious, well... for a deck!

! :)

free ish pool bar stool

With Rust O leum Painter's touch, I spray painted it in black.

free ish pool bar stool

I cut pool noodles in half (to create semi circles). Each one was 15" long. I marked a line every 2 1/4" on the seat, as each 1/2 noodle was 2 1/4" wide.

free ish pool bar stool

I cut some leatherette a little wider than the length of the noodles.

With hot glue, I glued each of the pool noodle on the seat, carefully following the lines.

free ish pool bar stool

After I glued a noodle, I fixed the leatherette with a staple gun, and repeated until all the noodles were fixed and covered by the fabric.

free ish pool bar stool

Once I was done, I could see the staples and I didn't like it... So I decided to insert jute ropes in each gap.

free ish pool bar stool

With my staple gun, I fixed the rope on the wood, at both ends, pulling the rope as tight as possible. I then fixed the fabric, still with the staple gun, creating a 'V' shaped pleat.

free ish pool bar stool

The skirt! Many of you are trying to avoid the sewing machine. Personally, I know how to sew and I like it, but I'll admit that I avoided sewing during this project to make it easier for those who would like to reproduce it, but I could not bring myself to use glue to close the skirt of my stool, it could never be as sturdy. I decided that the skirt would be 5 inches tall. I cut kodel of this width and leatherette about 1 1/2" wider to have enough fabric to create a hem at the top and bottom.

free ish pool bar stool

EDIT : here's a sketch that I hope will help you understand how the skirt is built. :)

free ish pool bar stool

After closing the skirt with my sewing machine, I used my heat gun to glue the hems.

free ish pool bar stool

To install the skirt on the stool, I gently slip the skirt, taking care to place it slightly above the wood, which you will feel with your fingers.

free ish pool bar stool

Once the skirt was installed, I noticed that a staple was still visible. I simply used a "long nose" grip to remove it. With the amount of staples I put, I knew that one more or less would not change much!

free ish pool bar stool

For finishing, I decided to put upholstery nails. I had never used this before, and I must admit that I was really afraid it would turned to be uneven. I went to visit my local fabric store, and found something really hot! A band of decorative headnails, on which we must nail a real one every 5 studs. They were selling a rubber hammer, but I did not want to spend money on something I was about certain I would never use it again! So I used my old and faithful hammer, which I covered with kodel using a rubber band.

free ish pool bar stool

Here is the final result! I caught one of my boy having a snack after school... It was finished just 5 minutes ago! Someone already loves the new place!

free ish pool bar stool

My husband likes it so much, he is afraid someone will steal it! I am happy with the result. I will make another one soon.

Hope you enjoyed!

Have a nice summer!

free ish pool bar stool

To see how I made the privacy screen, see link below.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/43294397/bbq-deck-privacy-heat-proof

• Debbie

I love this could I go around my bar top for arm rests

• Cassie

Does water collect in the valleys between the noodles?

• [re]FɄB19

Nope! The rope is falling down on each side (inside the skirt) so the water drains very easily. :)

• Eva Kisocama

It looks awesome, but with the foam noodle & leatherette material does it get too hot to sit on outside in the sun?

• [re]FɄB19

Lollll Good question!! I don't know yet! I live in Québec and the hottest we got this year is around 20. I don't think so, but maybe it will be. The studs Will certainly be...