With Rust O leum Painter's touch, I spray painted it in black.
Free(ish) Pool Bar Stool
Hi all! I made a stool from leftover wood and fabric I had. I am not sharing how I built the stool because it is no big deal : 4 legs, a seat and some cross bars. What I want to show you, is how it went from very ordinary to pretty nice and luxurious, well... for a deck!
I cut pool noodles in half (to create semi circles). Each one was 15" long. I marked a line every 2 1/4" on the seat, as each 1/2 noodle was 2 1/4" wide.
I cut some leatherette a little wider than the length of the noodles.
With hot glue, I glued each of the pool noodle on the seat, carefully following the lines.
After I glued a noodle, I fixed the leatherette with a staple gun, and repeated until all the noodles were fixed and covered by the fabric.
Once I was done, I could see the staples and I didn't like it... So I decided to insert jute ropes in each gap.
With my staple gun, I fixed the rope on the wood, at both ends, pulling the rope as tight as possible. I then fixed the fabric, still with the staple gun, creating a 'V' shaped pleat.
The skirt! Many of you are trying to avoid the sewing machine. Personally, I know how to sew and I like it, but I'll admit that I avoided sewing during this project to make it easier for those who would like to reproduce it, but I could not bring myself to use glue to close the skirt of my stool, it could never be as sturdy. I decided that the skirt would be 5 inches tall. I cut kodel of this width and leatherette about 1 1/2" wider to have enough fabric to create a hem at the top and bottom.
EDIT : here's a sketch that I hope will help you understand how the skirt is built. :)
After closing the skirt with my sewing machine, I used my heat gun to glue the hems.
To install the skirt on the stool, I gently slip the skirt, taking care to place it slightly above the wood, which you will feel with your fingers.
Once the skirt was installed, I noticed that a staple was still visible. I simply used a "long nose" grip to remove it. With the amount of staples I put, I knew that one more or less would not change much!
For finishing, I decided to put upholstery nails. I had never used this before, and I must admit that I was really afraid it would turned to be uneven. I went to visit my local fabric store, and found something really hot! A band of decorative headnails, on which we must nail a real one every 5 studs. They were selling a rubber hammer, but I did not want to spend money on something I was about certain I would never use it again! So I used my old and faithful hammer, which I covered with kodel using a rubber band.
Here is the final result! I caught one of my boy having a snack after school... It was finished just 5 minutes ago! Someone already loves the new place!
My husband likes it so much, he is afraid someone will steal it! I am happy with the result. I will make another one soon.
Hope you enjoyed!
Have a nice summer!
To see how I made the privacy screen, see link below.