A Patriotic Wreath

$9

I bought 5 red, white and blue scarfs at Dollar Tree. After doing a wreath with other scarfs I had purchased, I wanted to use the same technique on a Mother's Day/Memorial Day wreath using the scarfs, but, making it poufy or at least a little fuller. (https://www.hometalk.com/43284552/time-for-a-spring-wreath).

The 14 inch wreath form, 5 scarfs, and three bunches of red, white, and blue flowers (very sparkly!) were all from the Dollar Tree for nine dollars. The only tool I needed was a pair of scissors I use for crafts.

I started weaving the scarf, over and under, alternating loops. I work from the outside, in, but, my granddaughter works hers from inner loop to the outer loop, so work the way it is most comfortable for you.

Instead of pushing the rows of alternating fabric close together and pulling the fabric tight, I made the overlapping fabric (the fabric going over the top of the wire) looser.

It is easiest to keep loosening the loops as you work.

The easiest way I found to loosen, was to put my finger through the loop created by the fabric and giving a gentle tug.

I tied off the scarfs using the tails of the end around the wire, but, you can also tie it to the preceding scarf, pin it, sew it or glue it.

I used all five scarfs going around the form. Then, I cut the stem of the flowers and tucked them into the top of the wreath, hooking the wired stems around the exposed wire in the back of the wreath. You could also hot glue them, or pin them in place.

Then, I hung it on the Command hook on my front door, and started fluffing it, to even out the poufs.

A close up of my sparkly details.

Poufs were easy to arrange.

So what do you think?

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes

• Janet

I love it. Was at the dollar store yesterday and saw those scarves. Might have to go back and get some. One question, is your wreath hung outside? If so, does the fabric sag due to damp weather? I was wondering if using a stiffener would work. Mine would be on the outside and in the past when I used fabric bows, they begin to sag and look bad after a while, so I started to spray them with clear polyurethane. I've had these wreaths for 20 years and they still look new. Anyway, you did a great job, I love the way it came out.

• Cynthia H

The porch roof protects it. Plus I change my wreaths fairly often. Great idea though!

• Linda

Love the wreath but in Florida where it can rain like a hurricane, the scarf would be wet. Will make one and use it lying down on my table as a centerpiece. Thanks for the idea.

• Bbunny42

I have a red-white-blue wreath that I use for Memorial Day through Labor Day. I will add the scarves to it! Not sure if I have these on hand, but if not it's not far to Dollar Tree! Yours looks great; thanks for the idea!