The Mudcloth Pair

5 Materials
$100
5 Days
Advanced

You can check the full blog post for this project & more pictures ---> HERE

They are boring and very straight forward. Nothing left to the imagination.There really wasn’t anything about them that would make you think, “Ohhh, I can see what these could be.” Even the frame of the chairs was from snoozeville. But I wanted a challenge and to see if I could take something that was so boring to the next level.

Taking them apart was the first item on the makeover to-do list. Removing the cushions from the frames so that the oak could be completely sanded down.

Y'all might be sick of hearing this but I did decided to go with keeping the frames a raw wood.


"Boooo! Again?!"I know! I know!Paint just hasn't been speaking to me much lately but the raw wood look has.

So they were sanded down and sealed with Minwax Polycrylic Water Base Protective Coat in Clear Matte.


I let them dry while I worked on the seat cushions.

I'm sure people will look back at my fabric choices and say the same thing but... I very much doubt this look was ever in style.So I removed all of the old stuff and needed to pick a new fabric for the finished look.I had originally thought about using a faux cowhide but the one I ordered was too small and if I went much bigger in size it would have been to expensive to be worth it.Because the frames are so simple I felt like the pair could easily carry a funky pattern and it not look overbearing. 

I found these newer mudcloths on Etsy and it was getting to a point where I just had to make a decision so I ordered them!It is a very bold, African style pattern. I know its a little different from what y'all usually see from me and super eclectic but thats what I'm kinda going for this year!

I attached all the fabric to the cushions and reattached the cushions to the frames.

Another completed project ready for the Lucketts truck!


And that, Ladies & Gents, is the Mudcloth Pair !



Insta: @amandasmercantile


Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info
Amanda's Mercantile

Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Go

Have a question about this project?

3 questions
  • Christine Pardo
    on May 17, 2019

    What is "mud cloth "

    • Amanda's Mercantile
      on Jul 6, 2019

      It’s is a loose weave that was traditionally dyed with mud. Today I more identified by the print pattern that is added.

  • Mamma
    on May 17, 2019

    The title said $100.00 cost. What was the $100.00 spent on?

    • Amanda's Mercantile
      on Jul 14, 2019

      That is a really great question Barb. The market that I prepared for back in May, I made it a point to take more upholstery makeover pieces than I had in the past.


      1. Because I can get the original pieces for fairly cheap (I picked up these two for $10 for the pair).

      2. Upholstery, even on the more novice levels takes a little more skill & tools to do. EVERYONE has watched a youtube video or checked out a Pinterest post on how to DIY a painted dresser or nightstand. If a potential customer thinks they can do a furniture makeover themselves then they won't buy it from you. It sucks but it's the truth even if they do end up paying more in materials & time in the end.


      I figured this out pretty quickly in the earlier days of my business when I would hear people say, "I can do that", when they would walk by my booth. I realized that I needed to provided people with products that were more complex than just a weekend DIY for the everyday person.


      There is still some mystery when it comes to chairs, upholstery & sewing. Every piece of upholstery I took to that last show SOLD (3 pairs, 2 single accent chairs & a settee). Painted & made-over wooden pieces still have their place, I just noticed that people weren't snatching them up like they used to.


      I have the cost for this project at $100 because of what everything would have cost if someone were to only be buying it for this one project. In reality, I only used a little of the polycyclic, sandpaper, & thread to get this done. I'll use the paint brushes & upholstery needle again. I had a lot leftover that I used/will use to complete other projects so the cost in materials is spread out. From a business standpoint the real cost of materials in completing this project is more like $70 + my time. Oh, and I made a very, VERY good profit on them.


      I hope that all made sense and I wish you the best of luck!



  • Sandra
    on Jun 8, 2019

    What type of needle / pen did you use on the back pillow it's not in your tool post

Join the conversation

4 of 154 comments
Your comment...