Boho Upcycled Velvet Planters

$3

One of my favourite things to do with old tin cans is to make them into planters. Recently I made some large planters for the garden that looked like antique Chinese vases (see them here). However for these indoor planters I wanted something smaller and that would fit in with my decor.

The decor in my lounge has a bit of a Boho vibe and is full of rich colours. My curtains and some of my furniture is velvet in rich purple and pink hues. Therefore I decided to give these upcycled tin can planters a more of luxurious Boho make over.

All you need for this craft is some small tin cans in various sizes. Velvet ribbon of different thicknesses and a variety of similar shades.

Spray paint in colours similar to the velvet ribbon and some superglue gel.

Just because I think it looks better with the finished craft, I spray painted the tin cans.

Next, I measured the circumference of the tin can and cut the velvet ribbon to that length. I made sure I had enough strips of ribbon to fit the whole tin can.

I took the first length of velvet ribbon and glued it to the bottom edge of the tin can with a small dab of superglue gel. I just glued about 5mm of the ribbon to the tin.

I then wrapped the remainder of the ribbon tightly around the can and fixed it with another dab of superglue at the end.

I carried on adding strips of velvet ribbon to the can until it was all covered. If you have a bit of overlap at the top just fold the excess ribbon over the edge and glue it down. You can use small wooden pegs to keep the ribbon in place as the glue dries.

When planting the tin cans with succulents I find it easier to plant the succulent in a yogurt pot first and then placed it inside the can.

I liked these velvet tin can planters so much I made 3 of them all slightly different sizes.

I have even made a really easy (no-sew and no macrame) recycled plant holder so that I can hang them from the wall. You can see that tutorial here.

For more photos and planter ideas visit my blog at the end.

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Secenia

Already looking to find things to repherbish, wont cans eventually harm plants?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Many cans are treated inside (especially tin tomatoes) and would be fine for plants. But as Phyllis said I used yogurt pots inside the cans.