How to cleanup spilled dried honey?

Lynn SorrellGkKenneth
+3

How can I cleanup a large amount of dried honey on my countertop? I had a bottle of honey sitting upside down for a while and I had no idea it had sat there a leaked a bunch of honey. It had sat like that for at least a month. What a MESS!

You could try soaking a kitchen cloth in boiling water and laying it over the honey to soften it. Then wipe as much honey as you can, and then repeat. Eventually, when you’ve wiped off enough honey for it to be just a sticky residue, use more hot water and soap (and maybe some Goo-Gone!) to get the last of it.

Cleaners just haven’t worked as well in this particular situation. It comes down to lots of really, really hot water, and elbow grease!

• Kelli L. Milligan

Soak a towel with hot water and cover the honey spill. It will loosen and desolve the honey enough to wipe up.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Donna,

You could try to warm it us and melt it a bit with a hairdryer and mop it up, or try something like WD-40 around the edges to see if it softens it. The above are things I would try if I had the problem, so hope it's of help to you..........

• Kenneth

Thanks for the tip, fellas! Will try that out as well.

• Gk

Honey will soften up with a warm wet soapy towel/sponge/dishcloth on it. it is a sweetener that dissolves in water. You shouldn'thave to use any thing more than warm/hot soapy dishwater as a solvent.

• Lynn Sorrell

put ice on it to get it solid then pop it off with putty knife what is left put wet wash cloth in microwave get it as hot as possible and start wiping it up rinse cloth repeat when you get where it's almost gone use the hotwash cloth with some dawn dish soap to get final sticky stuff off. if you want to drain bottle/upside down put it in a bowl next time