BBQ Shack

6 materials
$300

My husband has a small love affair with all things Weber...as in the grills. We have 2 charcoal grills, a smoker, a gas grill and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. It was all stored on the back side of our house on a small patio made of cement pavers that only measured about 6ftx 8ft. Serving also as a walkway to the garage and driveway, passing through could be hazardous depending on what was being cooked back there. The smoker would be brought out into the walking path and other grills would be moved around as needed. Not safe or nice looking. So we decided to build something more permanent.

We had to clear tree roots to extend the patio space. Leveling this was the hardest part of this project which is why I rate it a "medium" for challenge. We used 12'x12' cement pavers which matched what was previously there.

Four holes were dug to sink 4x4 posts. Quick set was poured around each one to hold them in place. A knee wall was built to protect the grills from being touched accidentally. A corrugated metal roof was attached at the top, sloping to the back to allow for run-off.

1x8 pieces were used for planking the knee walls.

Slatted walls were installed to hang utensils but still allows a view to that side of the yard.

A fresh coat of exterior opaque stain to the outside of the shack allows it to blend in with the house and garage but the inside stayed unpainted. Left over corrugated metal was attached to the inside wall, behind the grills, as a heat shield.

A metal shelving unit was installed; easy to remove for cleaning but allows for storage and prep space. Mister has a place to grill that keeps him in the conversation but keeps our guest protected and keeps me happy not having to see a messy collection of moving grills.

You can see a more detailed post at my blog: http://whileilinger.blogspot.com/

While I Linger

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 10 questions

Comments

3 of 72 comments
Next