BBQ Shack

$300

My husband has a small love affair with all things Weber...as in the grills. We have 2 charcoal grills, a smoker, a gas grill and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. It was all stored on the back side of our house on a small patio made of cement pavers that only measured about 6ftx 8ft. Serving also as a walkway to the garage and driveway, passing through could be hazardous depending on what was being cooked back there. The smoker would be brought out into the walking path and other grills would be moved around as needed. Not safe or nice looking. So we decided to build something more permanent.

We had to clear tree roots to extend the patio space. Leveling this was the hardest part of this project which is why I rate it a "medium" for challenge. We used 12'x12' cement pavers which matched what was previously there.

Four holes were dug to sink 4x4 posts. Quick set was poured around each one to hold them in place. A knee wall was built to protect the grills from being touched accidentally. A corrugated metal roof was attached at the top, sloping to the back to allow for run-off.

1x8 pieces were used for planking the knee walls.

Slatted walls were installed to hang utensils but still allows a view to that side of the yard.

A fresh coat of exterior opaque stain to the outside of the shack allows it to blend in with the house and garage but the inside stayed unpainted. Left over corrugated metal was attached to the inside wall, behind the grills, as a heat shield.

A metal shelving unit was installed; easy to remove for cleaning but allows for storage and prep space. Mister has a place to grill that keeps him in the conversation but keeps our guest protected and keeps me happy not having to see a messy collection of moving grills.

You can see a more detailed post at my blog: http://whileilinger.blogspot.com/

While I Linger

• Susan Kmiecik

Isn’t that a lot of wood too close to those hot grills? While I love the look and the idea, I think I would have lined the bottom part with the corrugated aluminum. More money of course, but much safer in my opinion. Great project though!

• While I Linger

Thanks for the question, Susan. In the blogpost you can read that we did place metal behind the grills as a heat shield.

• Terry W.

Do you have building plans for this project?

• While I Linger

Hi Terry, thanks for the question. We did not make up plans for this. While I am a planner and need all the particulars on a build, my husband is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy. The shack is 6ft deep by 10ft wide if that helps.

• Mark N Karen Howie

Thanks for the clear pictures!

I am adapting this to a 10x10 model and using roofing for side panels. Also adding a 10 foot bar. Only spent $500 on materials!

• While I Linger

Sounds like it is going to be great! Please come back and share a picture when you're done and make a post of you own!