BBQ Shack

$300

My husband has a small love affair with all things Weber...as in the grills. We have 2 charcoal grills, a smoker, a gas grill and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. It was all stored on the back side of our house on a small patio made of cement pavers that only measured about 6ftx 8ft. Serving also as a walkway to the garage and driveway, passing through could be hazardous depending on what was being cooked back there. The smoker would be brought out into the walking path and other grills would be moved around as needed. Not safe or nice looking. So we decided to build something more permanent.

We had to clear tree roots to extend the patio space. Leveling this was the hardest part of this project which is why I rate it a "medium" for challenge. We used 12'x12' cement pavers which matched what was previously there.

Four holes were dug to sink 4x4 posts. Quick set was poured around each one to hold them in place. A knee wall was built to protect the grills from being touched accidentally. A corrugated metal roof was attached at the top, sloping to the back to allow for run-off.

1x8 pieces were used for planking the knee walls.

Slatted walls were installed to hang utensils but still allows a view to that side of the yard.

A fresh coat of exterior opaque stain to the outside of the shack allows it to blend in with the house and garage but the inside stayed unpainted. Left over corrugated metal was attached to the inside wall, behind the grills, as a heat shield.

A metal shelving unit was installed; easy to remove for cleaning but allows for storage and prep space. Mister has a place to grill that keeps him in the conversation but keeps our guest protected and keeps me happy not having to see a messy collection of moving grills.

You can see a more detailed post at my blog: http://whileilinger.blogspot.com/

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
While I Linger

• Brenda

What is the heights on the 4x4 and how many 2 x4 and 1x8 will I need. Just don't want to go back and forth to hardware store. Thanks so much love this.

• While I Linger

Our 4x4s were 10 feet. 2 feet of which got buried in the ground. We used 7-2x6x8s (for roof framing) pine, 4-2x4x6 and 6-2x4x8 pressure treated for bottom framing, and we used 15-1x8x8 shiplap grooved panels for the outside walls. This doesn't include the extra pine for the slatted wall which was built mostly out of left over materials from various projects. Hope that helps.

• Rob Olive

Hi, How much shorter are the rear 4x4's than the fronts to allow for the slope, and how did you figure the angles to cut the posts at? Sorry, I'm new to this:) Also, I can't tell what the shiplap siding is screwed into? Thanks!

• While I Linger

In photos 2-4 of the shack you can see how the lower part was constructed. The shiplap is screwed into those 2x4s. For the angle at the top posts were set in cement. We measured up to what we wanted the front height to be and marked it (8ft). We did the same on the back posts but measured it 1 foot shorter (7ft). We then screwed the 2x6's sides for the roof framing onto the posts aligned with our marks. That gave us the angles. Using a skill saw, Mister cut off the tops. Front and back roof skirt went up after that.

• Amber

How did you level the ground under the pavers to account for the slope of the ground?

• While I Linger

Hi Amber, we just moved earth around to level the ground. Normally, we would recommend digging down and using sand but we have tree roots all over the place so it was just a matter of digging what we could, tamping and using a level until we got it right.