Updated Super Hip Dog Gate DIY

$25

Husbands...we love them, but sometimes it seems their sole purpose is to break things. Time to update a previous post, a DIY dog gate for our deck! With lift off hinges, this removable, temporary gate is great anywhere!

So here's the old one. It was warping badly, likely due to the regular inexpensive 2x2 pine I purchased, plus being stored in the garage. One day, my sweetheart is putting it up when I hear *snap!*

He broke it.

So I do what I always do: redo it.

I purchased some heftier 2x2 pine, clear pine this time, and cut the corners on 45° angles. First I cut one piece in half, then cut the ends at 45. The other two pieces I trimmed one end at 45°, then cut to length and the angle at the same time.

This time I used an oil based stain and an outdoor polyurethane in a sort of effort to keep moisture from invading the wood.

Here's a hot money saving tip though -- instead of purchasing those paint pyramids or points that will likely get lost in a jiffy anyway, take some of that scrap 2x2 and cut a bunch of little triangles. Instant paint pyramids!

Be sure to swing by my blog, Flipping the Flip for more details on this project and so many more fun ones!

This time I used some beefy corner braces to help keep the corners true, hoping this sturdies things up.

I also zipped through some galvanized (non-rusting) screws across the joint from either side, helping secure those corners.

I replaced the same eye hooks as last time and also reused the same paracord string as last time as well since they worked so well.

To line up the fancy lift off hinges, I used the side piece of the old gate to locate the spots on the new. Those lift off hinges are fabulous by the way -- we can easily set and remove the gate as needed!

Ah, see, here's a view of a lift off hinge. And as you can see, it keeps the dog off the deck too, haha! Can you spot his weird self?

And voila! Happy Finn on his happy deck safe and sound with me!

As with last time, you know your dog best. While this works fantastically for us, it may not for everyone. These are ideas and tips for your own gate. As always, don't leave your dog unattended; we only ever use this gate while we are on the deck with him.

Be sure to click the link below and visit the blog!

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Teresa Harrell- Smith

Unfortunately, my dog could chew through that in less than 30 seconds!!

• Em

You aren't going to train a dog when a squirrel, chipmunk or dog is in their yard. They will stick their heads thru and could easily get stuck. It might work if they were VERY tiny spaceS, but I would not put up for my medium to large dogs. This looks too dangerous.

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

As I said, this isn’t for every dog, every yard, every situation, and it’s not for them to be left alone with. We know what our dog will go after or ignore. This project is for best judgment with supervision.