How to Make an Easy Mini Aquatic Plants Pond With an Old Metal Washtub

$14

I had a problem with my koi carp fish always gobbling up any aquatic plants I tried to grow in my pond and so I decided to create separate mini pond in the corner using an old galvanised wash tub that they couldn’t destroy!

Old wash tub
Old wash tub

Firstly I placed some old bricks inside to raise the level of the plant baskets slightly higher so the stems would reach out the top of water enough to grow well.

Place old bricks in tub
Place old bricks in tub

I begin lining the inside of the ‘specially designed for ponds’ plastic plant baskets with perforations. I used pond plant liners.

Special pond plant baskets
Special pond plant baskets

It is ok to overhang the lining as it can be cut off after potted.

Lining the basket
Lining the basket

next I fill the basket with special aquatic compost that is suitable for pond plants.

Fill with aquatic  soil for pond plants
Fill with aquatic soil for pond plants

i chose a range of aquatic plants and different sized baskets to give a variety of interest. I place plants carefully in the soil.

Planting and filling up with aquatic soul

On top of the soil i sprinkle layer of aquatic pebble stones. I spread these evenly and press down to prevent the soil from coming out into the water and making it muddy.

Top the soil with  stone pebbles
Top the soil with stone pebbles

I fill more baskets with different plants and repeat process.

Adding more aquatic plants
Adding more aquatic plants

And I begin cutting around the excess lining overhang of the baskets to neaten edges.

Cut excess lining to neaten
Cut excess lining to neaten

I use variety of shades of green and soon to be colourful flowering and plants in an arrangement that fits and will create an lovely plant pond and haven for birds to bath too!

Use variety of colours
Use variety of colours

I decide placement of pots into tub on top of the bricks. I arrange them in a way that allows growth and space and also varied heights.

Adding plants into tub
Adding plants into tub

I then top up with the Water hose to bring the level up.

Top up with water  hose
Top up with water hose

I am so loving this gorgeous old water tub pond and can’t wait till it grows and bursts with flowers!

Cute DIY tub pond with aquatic plants
Cute DIY tub pond with aquatic plants
Cute DIY wash tub pond
Cute DIY wash tub pond

Wash tub aquatic plant pond
Wash tub aquatic plant pond

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Tammie

So do you ever put these plants back with the coi fish or do they just not have plants at all?

• Susan Goode

I won’t put these in the Lou pond as they would just eat and desecrate them !

But maybe I will think about the plant socks that seem to overcome the problem by keeping the plant bit more root encased

• Rosanna

What plants did you use?

• Susan Goode

A Mix of Aquatic plants water mint, Berlin tiger iris golden creeping jenny and brass buttons.

• Donna L Collins

Where did you buy what you need for this for $14.00. What I have priced came out to be alot more. Especially the greenery.

• Susan Goode

My local pond shop had a special offer on for plants and baskets but also on line stores Amazon and in the big DIY supers stores here in UK the garden/pond sections do great deals. I also had the baskets left over from trying to do this in my big pond unsuccessfully. So i cannot say how much things would cost locally to you.

• Shari

I, too, wonder how to keep the mosquitoes away.

• Elaine

Mosquitos?

• Susan Goode

ITS not really an issue in my garden in UK but various suggestions have been introduce fish or fountain and oxygenation plants to prevent or manage