How to Make an Easy Mini Aquatic Plants Pond With an Old Metal Washtub

5 materials
$14

I had a problem with my koi carp fish always gobbling up any aquatic plants I tried to grow in my pond, so I decided to create a separate mini pond in the corner using an old galvanised wash tub that they couldn’t destroy!

Old wash tub

For this project you'll need:

• galvanised tub
  • bricks
  • plant baskets
  • pond plant liners
  • aquatic soil
  • pond plants
  • stone pebblesscissors
  • water

Place Old Bricks in Tub
Place Old Bricks in Tub

Firstly I placed some old bricks inside to raise the level of the plant baskets slightly higher so the stems would reach out the top of water enough to grow well.

Line with Pond Plant Baskets
Line with Pond Plant Baskets

I begin lining the inside of the ‘specially designed for ponds’ plastic plant baskets with perforations. I used pond plant liners.

Line with Pond Plant Liners
Line with Pond Plant Liners

It is okay to overhang the lining as it can be cut off after potted.

Fill with Aquatic Soil
Fill with Aquatic Soil

Next I filled the basket with special aquatic compost that is suitable for pond plants.

Fill with Aquatic Plants
Fill with Aquatic Plants

I chose a range of aquatic plants and different sized baskets to give a variety of interest. I placed plants carefully in the soil.

Top with Aquatic Pebble Stones
Top with Aquatic Pebble Stones

On top of the soil I sprinkled layer of aquatic pebble stones. I spread these evenly and pressed down to prevent the soil from coming out into the water and making it muddy.

Adding more aquatic plants

I filled more baskets with different plants and repeated process.

Cut Excess Lining to Neaten
Cut Excess Lining to Neaten

Then I began cutting around the excess lining overhang of the baskets to neaten edges.

Use a variety of colours

I used variety of shades of green and soon to be colourful flowering and plants in an arrangement that fits and will create an lovely plant pond and haven for birds to bathe too!

Place the Pots in the Tub
Place the Pots in the Tub

I decided the placement of the pots in the tub on top of the bricks. I arranged them in a way that allows growth and space and also varied heights.

Top up with water hose
Top with Water

Then I topped it up with the water hose to bring the level up.

Cute DIY tub pond with aquatic plants

I am loving this gorgeous old water tub pond and can’t wait till it grows and bursts with flowers!

Cute DIY wash tub pond

Wash tub aquatic plant pond

Questions on this post

3 of 23 questions

Comments

19 of 73 comments
Next