How to Make an Easy Mini Aquatic Plants Pond With an Old Metal Washtub

$14

I had a problem with my koi carp fish always gobbling up any aquatic plants I tried to grow in my pond, so I decided to create a separate mini pond in the corner using an old galvanised wash tub that they couldn’t destroy!

Old wash tub

For this project you'll need:

• galvanised tub
  • bricks
  • plant baskets
  • pond plant liners
  • aquatic soil
  • pond plants
  • stone pebblesscissors
  • water

Place Old Bricks in Tub

Place Old Bricks in Tub

Firstly I placed some old bricks inside to raise the level of the plant baskets slightly higher so the stems would reach out the top of water enough to grow well.

Line with Pond Plant Baskets

Line with Pond Plant Baskets

I begin lining the inside of the ‘specially designed for ponds’ plastic plant baskets with perforations. I used pond plant liners.

Line with Pond Plant Liners

Line with Pond Plant Liners

It is okay to overhang the lining as it can be cut off after potted.

Fill with Aquatic Soil

Fill with Aquatic Soil

Next I filled the basket with special aquatic compost that is suitable for pond plants.

Fill with Aquatic Plants

Fill with Aquatic Plants

I chose a range of aquatic plants and different sized baskets to give a variety of interest. I placed plants carefully in the soil.

Top with Aquatic Pebble Stones

Top with Aquatic Pebble Stones

On top of the soil I sprinkled layer of aquatic pebble stones. I spread these evenly and pressed down to prevent the soil from coming out into the water and making it muddy.

Adding more aquatic plants

I filled more baskets with different plants and repeated process.

Cut Excess Lining to Neaten

Cut Excess Lining to Neaten

Then I began cutting around the excess lining overhang of the baskets to neaten edges.

Use a variety of colours

I used variety of shades of green and soon to be colourful flowering and plants in an arrangement that fits and will create an lovely plant pond and haven for birds to bathe too!

Place the Pots in the Tub

Place the Pots in the Tub

I decided the placement of the pots in the tub on top of the bricks. I arranged them in a way that allows growth and space and also varied heights.

Top with Water

Top up with water hose

Then I topped it up with the water hose to bring the level up.

Cute DIY tub pond with aquatic plants

I am loving this gorgeous old water tub pond and can’t wait till it grows and bursts with flowers!

Cute DIY wash tub pond

Wash tub aquatic plant pond

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Rosanna

What plants did you use?

• Susan Goode

A Mix of Aquatic plants water mint, Berlin tiger iris golden creeping jenny and brass buttons.

• Donna L Collins

Where did you buy what you need for this for $14.00. What I have priced came out to be alot more. Especially the greenery.

• Susan Goode

My local pond shop had a special offer on for plants and baskets but also on line stores Amazon and in the big DIY supers stores here in UK the garden/pond sections do great deals. I also had the baskets left over from trying to do this in my big pond unsuccessfully. So i cannot say how much things would cost locally to you.

• Kevin Browne

I have a similar little tub pond but problems with algae. What do you do to control or reduce algae?

• Susan Goode

It’s isn’t a problem yet despite heat in uk here this summer. And guess oxygenating plants are useful.

• Shari

I, too, wonder how to keep the mosquitoes away.

• Gabrielle Falk

If you put the water garden on the ground you might very well attract the local frog population. I put some water bowls in the front garden, which faces West in Sydney, purely for decoration; and the next thing I knew I had the local frogs making their homes in them, and laying eggs! However you must ensure that the frogs can get in easily, and more importantly make sure that they can get out, especially if the sides of the water garden are slippery. What I did was just get some rocks and place on the inside next to the inner wall. Frogs can drown if they can't get out. Frogs will eat mosquito larvae - we have no problems at all with 'mozzies'.

• Elaine

Mosquitos?

• Susan Goode

ITS not really an issue in my garden in UK but various suggestions have been introduce fish or fountain and oxygenation plants to prevent or manage