A Fun Way to Brighten up an Old Table Using Unicorn Spit Gel & Stain

$14

This dull, worn, vintage coffee table had been kicking around in my garage and not being used for years so I thought it needed a bit of beautifying to get usefully into my home again!

Old worn table
Old worn table

I had an idea to try a bright new appearance on the table top with using Unicorn spit paint & stain gel which I saw and was inspired by online. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out.

Unicorn Spit stain and paint gel
Unicorn Spit stain and paint gel

I begin by using furniture paint in the shade of charcoal on the table legs and top. I apply it with a sponge applicator for good even coverage.

Painting table with furniture paint
Painting table with furniture paint

Painting the table top
Painting the table top

The next step is exciting creative part so I start squirting The Unicorn Spit gel onto the surface in rings starting from the middle flowing outwards.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

After the paint has had time to dry I squirt the Unicornspit paint in circles on the table top

.

And I keep adding various colours working towards the edge

Squirting Unicorn Spit in circles
Spray with water

Then after a light spraying of water to help the easy blending of colour and prevent wrinkles,

vintage coffee table transformation to boho beauty

I cover the paint in a thin plastic sheet ( I used a bag that the paint came in opened up ) I begin gently smoothing wrinkles and dispersing paint from the centre outwards to create the design.

Lay plastic sheet over the top
Lay plastic sheet over the top

The spreading of the paint outwards is the fun creative bit that develops the design. I decide to apply another layer after i lifted the plastic to create more depth. I repeated the process till happy.

squirting Unicorn Spit in circles on top

I try three times these steps using new plastic film each time to create the pattern I wanted. A sort of tie dye effect.

My beautiful BoHo Purple Haze table
My beautiful BoHo Purple Haze table

Until finally I’m finished and so delighted with my transformed old table into a new look BoHo purple haze beauty! 

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• Lynn

Well.......its different! Where is it going to land?

• Dawn

Did you let it dry some between layers?

• Susan Goode

I didn’t particularly just did it all really in continuous creative flurry!

• Rebecca Suzan Osterberg

Just a comment; I’m an old hippie chick/crone and I love this! Is it on a covered porch?

• Susan Goode

Hi yes it is out of direct weather with overhead protection but it is quite durable too but maybe a layer of varnish would be advisable if out in all weathers.

• This is so fun!

• Traci Heimer
    2 hours ago

This turned out awesome! I love Unicorn SPiT and have used it on most of my projects for 5 years now. Did you seal it too? Most projects with SPiT need sealed unless it's a frame or something that won't get used daily. I love the colors. And as I like to say "Happy SPiTTiNG" It's addicting.

• Susan Goode
      31 minutes ago

Thank you so much Traci! Yes is addictive and I have just finished a new project shoe rack turned plant unit soon to upload. I would love to see some of your projects too 🔥