Carla schorle
Carla schorle
  • Prosser, WA

How can I return the glaze to my every day dishes?

Linda SikutWilliamJoy30150932

26 years ago I purchase a set of cobalt blue dishes which I love. Over time they have lost some of their glaze. I had a dishwasher for 12 years and am sure that contributed to it. Is there something I can to do to bring back the shine?

• Joy30150932

Sorry but I think the dish washer has removed the glaze and there is really not much you can do at this point. That is the same reason they tell you not to put your good glasses in there. The bot water can be brutal on colored items and crystal.

Not much you can go. Dishwashing liquid just etched the finish over time.

• Linda Sikut

HI Carla,

Glaze is done in a kiln Sadly, I don't know if every type of clay is heated in the kiln to the same temperature for the same length of time. Something I do know is that if the glaze has worn off, the dishes could be leaking toxins from the clay so they are not food safe. You could try calling a local ceramic shop to see if they can help you reglaze your dishes. It might be possible, but even though I've done ceramics, I don't know if it's possible to reglaze commercial products. A ceramic shop owner should know. Wishing you the best.