Val
Val

How to repair vaulted ceiling?

V SmithJoy30150932William

Room is 25 x 25 feet. Vaulted ceiling has settlement cracks in 2 of the 4 corners. Trying To figure out how to conceal them as several attempts at repair have failed. Also it is popcorn...built in late 70’s which I don’t mind and don’t know if it contains asbestos so I would hate to take it down. I thought of faux beams. Any suggestions?

Crown molding. Faux beams would work. Wood trim.

• Joy30150932

You could build it up with a good quality caulk which is paintable. The original paper has probably cracked and unless you repaper the corners they will continue to create problems so the easiest method is to use the paintable caulk. A good caulk will expand when necessary providing the space is not too large. Be sure to smooth the caulk after each application so that you will get a nice finish when you paint over it with a primer and then your finish coat of paint. If you plan on painting the whole room, then add color to the primer so the second coat covers much better.

• V Smith

If you haven't already tried it make the repair using mesh tape. Start by clearing away any previous spackle repair. Once you have the area free of spackle, tape over the cracks using the mesh tape and cover it with new spackle.