Barb Kuhlthau
Barb Kuhlthau
  • Mesa, AZ

How can I update an ugly florescent light box in my kitchen?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAShore grandmomNancy Turner
+1

A contractor broke the plastic panels when installing a new fan. He didn't install the fan correctly either but that is another story for another day. Basically I can only afford a cosmetic change at this time and would appreciate some simple ideas. Nothing like artificial plants or the like. I live in AZ and dust is a huge problem. Clean and modern would be best. Thank you to the community!

• Joy30150932

Sorry you are having problems with contractor's. They can be frustrating some times if they do not do a good job. If you remove the globes and internal guts to the box, You could maybe paint it out and then hang a new light fixture with two or three globes hanging down. If you cannot afford that right now, head to your local hardware store and pick up some plexi-glass. Have them cut it to the correct size.

• Nancy Turner

You may be able to find replacement covers. When we needed to replace a fluorescent light in the basement the plastic cover broke off on one corner because it was really brittle. We found a replacement at Home Depot. You should have made the contractor replace it since he broke it, it was his boo-boo, not yours. He should also fix what he didn't do right with the fan. He was paid to do a job and didn't do it correctly and also caused other damage. This should all be done on his Nickel, not yours. It should have been a part of the contract, I hope you haven't paid him yet!

• Shore grandmom

I agree with Nancy, replacement parts are usually available. And the contractor should be the one to buy it, fix the light and fan.

• Replacement panels are sold at hardware and home improvement centers. I have those fixtures in my bathrooms. I lay a tarp down on the driveway. Mark the portion to be cut. Then let it sit in the sun for a couple hours. When it is nice and warm, then make your cuts.

And here is how to hire any contractor you will ever need.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0242-hiring-contractor