Give Your Old Dresser a Dramatic Transformation With This Technique!

$50
1 Day

Have an old dresser that needs a new look? Try this!

I loved this technique because it's so much easier to do than stenciling or free-hand painting, and the result is magnificent! This dresser is definitely the belle of this bedroom now.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Materials:

• Green latex paint
  • Prima Marketing Inc Redesign Transfer
  • Sand paper

Tools

• Transfer smoothing tool
  • Screw driver
  • Paint brush

Step 1: Sand that baby down

I started with a plain white dresser. Fine, but not great.

I sanded every surface and corner of the dresser to prepare it for paint. If you're using chalk paint, you can actually skip this step.

Step 2: Disassemble the dresser

I took the knobs off the dresser and I took out the drawers so that I could paint the frame and the drawers separately.

Step 3: Paint the dresser

I used a nice, olive-y green for my base coat. I painted the dresser frame and drawers separately so that I could cover every surface easily and give everything ample dry time.

Step 4: Reassemble the dresser

I put the drawers back in, but I didn't add the knobs on yet because I needed that smooth, flat surface for the next (exciting!) step.

Ready for this?

Transfer film!!! Yes, that's my secret, Prima Marketing Inc Redesign Transfer (available in the materials section below). This stuff is insanely cool. It's like a giant, gorgeous sticker that you place right on your furniture. Make sure your kids don't see you do this though--don't want them getting any ideas...

Step 5: Place your first transfer sheet

Decide where you want your sheet to go and begin adhering it to your piece. Simply peel back the film a little bit at a time so you can get that transfer onto your piece straight and smooth.

Step 6: Sticking your transfer

As you remove the backing, smooth the transfer down with a tool (like a credit card or a spoon) and run over it with your hand to make sure there are no bubbles or creases.

Step 7: Match up your sheets

Work in sections, matching up the bottom of your last transfer sheet to the top of your next. You can cut the sheets as you go as well, to make them a bit easier to work with. I worked a drawer at a time and cut the sheet as I got to the end of each drawer.

Step 8: Return your knobs and pulls

After you design is complete, just add those knobs back on and enjoy your gorgeous new piece. How cool is that?

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Janet

I have had something like this in mind for an old lingerie chest but I didn't know how to do it! Now I do! Yours is simply beautiful and thank you for sharing!

• Laura

Thank you for sharing. I have 2 dressers that need re-doing and this is perfect. Thank you for mentioning about the Chalk paint since I have to do this inside my apartment. The design you used is just what I want, as a matter of fact I want one dresser exactly like yours, same color and all.

Can you tell me the # of the flower transfer since it is the one I want?

You are great!! Laura