Give Your Old Dresser a Dramatic Transformation With This Technique!

$50
1 Day

Have an old dresser that needs a new look? Try this!

I loved this technique because it's so much easier to do than stenciling or free-hand painting, and the result is magnificent! This dresser is definitely the belle of this bedroom now.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Materials:

• Green latex paint
  • Prima Marketing Inc Redesign Transfer
  • Sand paper

Tools

• Transfer smoothing tool
  • Screw driver
  • Paint brush

Step 1: Sand that baby down

I started with a plain white dresser. Fine, but not great.

I sanded every surface and corner of the dresser to prepare it for paint. If you're using chalk paint, you can actually skip this step.

Step 2: Disassemble the dresser

I took the knobs off the dresser and I took out the drawers so that I could paint the frame and the drawers separately.

Step 3: Paint the dresser

I used a nice, olive-y green for my base coat. I painted the dresser frame and drawers separately so that I could cover every surface easily and give everything ample dry time.

Step 4: Reassemble the dresser

I put the drawers back in, but I didn't add the knobs on yet because I needed that smooth, flat surface for the next (exciting!) step.

Ready for this?

Transfer film!!! Yes, that's my secret, Prima Marketing Inc Redesign Transfer (available in the materials section below). This stuff is insanely cool. It's like a giant, gorgeous sticker that you place right on your furniture. Make sure your kids don't see you do this though--don't want them getting any ideas...

Step 5: Place your first transfer sheet

Decide where you want your sheet to go and begin adhering it to your piece. Simply peel back the film a little bit at a time so you can get that transfer onto your piece straight and smooth.

Step 6: Sticking your transfer

As you remove the backing, smooth the transfer down with a tool (like a credit card or a spoon) and run over it with your hand to make sure there are no bubbles or creases.

Step 7: Match up your sheets

Work in sections, matching up the bottom of your last transfer sheet to the top of your next. You can cut the sheets as you go as well, to make them a bit easier to work with. I worked a drawer at a time and cut the sheet as I got to the end of each drawer.

Step 8: Return your knobs and pulls

After you design is complete, just add those knobs back on and enjoy your gorgeous new piece. How cool is that?

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous

• Millie Bonacci
    Millie Bonacci

Where do you buy transfer sheets?

• Tricia Manemeit Neal
      Tricia Manemeit Neal

These are so fun & can be used on almost everything ( glass, wood, metal, leather , fabric *with proper installation steps)

However, Please try to support small businesses & not Amazon for them though. :) Primarily bc this transfer is probably $10 more on Amazon (& in Jeff Bezos pocket) than you will pay from a retailer or small shop (putting food on their table) . You can find IOD ( Iron Orchid Design), Redesign by Prima, Piece Prints, Hokus Pocus Transfers on Etsy or from searching resellers. You can also use printed napkins & tissue paper designs you find & like.

• Birdell Waugh
    Birdell Waugh

Can you use on metal?

• Laurie
    Laurie

How did you get the design on the transfer paper ?

• Sue
    Sue

Wow! It's beautiful! Thank you for showing how to do this step by step. You made it look easy enough for me to try.

• Kim
    Kim

OMG-It never ceases to amaze me what creations people come up with! This is gorgeous!