Pveller
Pveller
  • Canada

How to weed around cactus?

C CrowV SmithNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+1

I have a cactus that spreads; how do I weed in and around it without getting pricked?

• Em

Water the soil around the base of the cactus thoroughly so the top 1 or 2 inches become saturated. Alternatively, wait until after a rainstorm when the soil is wet. Weeds pull more easily from wet soil.

Put on heavy gloves and wear a long-sleeved shirt to provide protection from the cactus spines.

Insert a dandelion fork into the soil next to a large weed plant. Lever the handle of the fork backward so the fork lifts the weed out of the soil by its roots.

Pinch small newly germinated weeds between your fingers, grasping the weed near its base. Pull out the weed, including the roots.

Wrap a piece of cardboard around the base of the cactus. Spray stubborn weeds with a glyphosate weed killer. The cardboard protects the cactus from overspray. The glyphosate kills all plant life it comes in contact with but only remains active for a

• Wrap the cactus in an old sheet or tarp, (something that doesn't have fuzz to stick to the cactus), do your weeding, then remove.

• V Smith

This is just a shot in the dark because I don't garden but maybe you could buy a pair of those kitchen gloves that helps prevent cutting your hand and wear it to pull the weeds around your cactus.

https://smile.amazon.com/NoCry-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Performance/dp/B00MXUHHGK/ref=sr_1_10?crid=4BDVH9S7UUUJ&keywords=kitchen+gloves&qid=1557937145&s=home-garden&sprefix=Kitchen+glove%2Cgarden%2C159&sr=1-10

• C Crow

All good advice, plus I wear my 'rose' gloves (extra long, leather gloves).