DIY Faux Brick

$50

I have always loved the look of exposed brick in homes! Our home, unfortunately, didn’t have any, so I decided to find a way to add it myself. I am in love with the character that it has added to our home. Check out my tutorial so that you can do it yourself!

DIY Faux Brick

Tools and Materials

• painter's tape
  • joint compound
  • gloves
  • paint
  • Minwax polycrylic
Tape off the Wall
Tape off the Wall

You’ll want to start off by taping off where you’d like your brick to end. (I planned to add white shiplap to both sides of the brick, so I chose to have mine 11”) side note, if you’re doing a whole wall or somewhere that already has clean edges you won’t need this step

Tape off Mortar Lines
Tape off Mortar Lines, Smear on Joint Compound, and Remove the Tape

For your next step you’ll want to tape off your brick ‘mortar’ lines using your 1/2” masking tape. My bricks measure 7”x3”.

Smear joint compound over the wall and tape. Keep in mind that the more texture you leave on the joint compound the more realistic your brick will look.

THIS STEP IS MESSY! So get those gloves on! You will now pull all of your tape from the wall while the joint compound is still wet. You can see the result in the photo above, though it is a tad hard to see because of colors.

Let that dry OVER NIGHT.

Paint
Paint

Next you’ll paint each brick individually. I used burnt umber, driftwood, and oyster beige. I used a mixture of the three on each brick to give them a more realistic look.

Paint Colors
DIY Painted Brick

Here is a photo of the painted brick. Notice how each brick has color depth from using all three colors.

Paint the Mortar Lines
Paint the Mortar Lines and Seal if Desired

Your final step is to paint your mortar lines and white wash your brick. Using Rustoleum chalked paint in ‘linen white’, I first start by painting the mortar and when there is minimal paint left on the brush, I use what is left to lightly brush it over the brick to create the white wash look. Repeat this step until you’ve finished all bricks.

This step is optional, but I like to seal my brick with Minwax polycrylic in matte finish to ensure durability.

My 2 year old loves the brick.. so it needs a little extra help to stay pretty 😉

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away

• Angie Weisheit
    Angie Weisheit

Looks amazing!!

I was wondering if you could use a roller to apply paint to the "bricks" when covering a larger area by taking three colors of acrylic paint but barely swirling or pouring them together into a paint pan? If trying this I would use a roller with very thin napp or a sponge roller to keep the colors from getting on the "mortar" and applying with very little pressure on the roller.

Next, paint over the "mortar" just like you did. With a new roller, then apply the whitewash and then the matte finish to the "brick." What does everyone think about this method for a larger area? TIA for any input!

• Patricia
      Patricia

I would paint the wall the mortar color first before starting the brickwork!

• Heidi
    Heidi

Why would you want a dead animals head in your house??

• Beth
    Beth

I was thinking, paint wall with morter color, tint joint compound with lightest paint color, and then tape ..... Then all you would have to do is add your accent colors, and seal.

Love the colors, shiplap and decorations, beautiful job!

Any thoughts?

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

This is ingenious! I love how this wall treatment pulls the whole space together and creates a warm, cozy look. You are very clever and talented, and did an excellent job. Kudos!

Thank you for sharing!

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

What a great way to change the look of any wall in any room. You did a great job and love the shiplap you used with the faux bricks. GREAT JOB.