Faux Brick

$50

I have always loved the look of exposed brick in homes! Our home, unfortunately, didn’t have any.. so I decided to find a way to add it myself and I am in love with the character that it has added to our home.

faux brick
faux brick

You’ll want to start off by taping off where you’d like your brick to end. (I planned to add white shiplap to both sides of the brick, so I chose to have mine 11”) side note, if you’re doing a whole wall or somewhere that already has clean edges you won’t need this step

faux brick

2.For your next step you’ll want to tape off your brick ‘mortar’ lines using your 1/2” masking tape.

My bricks measure 7”x3”

3.Smear joint compound over the wall and tape.

Keep in mind that the more texture you leave on the joint compound the more realistic your brick will look.

4.THIS STEP IS MESSY! So get those gloves on! You will now pull all of your tape from the wall while the joint compound is still wet.

You can see the result in the photo above, though it is a tad hard to see because of colors..

let that dry OVER NIGHT.

faux brick

5.Next you’ll paint each brick individually. I used burnt umber, driftwood, and oyster beige.

I used a mixture of the three on each brick to give them a more realistic look.

faux brick
faux brick

Here is a photo of the painted brick. Notice how each brick has color depth from using all three colors.

faux brick

6.Your final step is to paint your mortar lines and white wash your brick.

Using rustoleum chalked paint in ‘linen white’, I first start by painting the mortar and when there is minimal paint left on the brush, I use what is left to lightly brush it over the brick to create the white wash look. Repeat this step until you’ve finished all bricks.

7.This step is optional, but I like to seal my brick with minwax polycrilic in matte finish to ensure durability.

My 2 year old loves the brick.. so it needs a little extra help to stay pretty 😉

• Ruthann Nissly Martinez

Why don’t you just paint the wall the mortar color 1st instead of painting all the lines afterwards?

• Grama Debbie

This is a great idea!! I’ve been trying to decide on what to do about one of the walls in my entry. This is perfect and can easily be changed anytime or year I want to!! Thank you so much!!

• Kathleen Church

Should have used a ruler? Masonary is straight .

• Deborah

I did a similar project about 25 yrs ago covering up French blue Formica counter tops and blue wallpaper in the kitchen... just purchased my first house, single and no extra money for permanent upgrades at the time... Looked great and you would not believe how many thought the bricks were real... ha!

• Laura Salvatore

I like this! And the mount is great!