Dip Dyed Drop Cloth Curtains

$25

Using drop cloth curtains is so easy and affordable, as well as stylish with their rustic farmhouse charm. I have been using drop cloths as curtain panels indoors and outdoors for years. Even though I love the look of a plain drop cloth curtain panel, I wanted to see if I could spice things up a bit.

Find the full details of this project on my blog.

I first grabbed a drop cloth that was large enough to cover our windows. To choose a color for dip dying, I went to the Rit website and used their color formulas as a guide when purchasing my dyes.

Unfortunately, the stores near me didn't carry a good selection of Rit colors, so I had to wing it a bit.

Following the instructions on the Rit containers, I soaked my drop cloth in a bucket for 15 minutes. I was going for a darker burnt orange color, which is what I thought I had achieved. It turns out, that I should have soaked my cloth for much longer, 30 plus minutes, because much of the color washed out.

I also managed to dye my hand orange for a day. Maybe, um, don't be lazy and grab some rubber gloves when doing dip dye projects.

While my curtain panels were soaking and rinsing, I put together some easy yarn tassels with the help of my chubby fingered assistant. I dressed these up a bit by stringing wood beads onto the top strand of yarn.

Using a double fold and fabric seam glue, I sealed up any raw edges where I had to trim the drop cloths to create panels. Ironing before gluing helped to create a nice fold. I held my seams together with pins while the glue dried.

Tassels can be hot glued to the back of the fold in the curtain panel. This will hide the glue spot, and give the curtains a nice clean look.

I used curtain ring hooks to hang my drop cloth panels. Even though the color isn't exactly how I imagined it would be, we have grown to love the curtains and the warmth they add to our living room.

Check out the video tutorial!

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Heather Cammack

• Alexis

How close together did you put your hooks?

• Heather Cammack

If you're talking about the hooks on the curtain panels, they're about 5 inches apart.

• Debbie

Just wanted to say that I really like the idea makes it look sheik. Love those windows

• Kus5762486

Just for you to know the curtains made it look chic. I know l ioften get confused about spelling.

• Mimi Johnson

These are really great and I love the color which is so very hard to find! Thanks for this idea!

• Jessica

Wow! This turned out so gorgeous.

• Angie

Burnt orange is my favorite color. I have for years had a hard time finding the right curtains for the right price. I absolutely love how these turned out the lighter shade still looks so beautiful. & the tassel idea is the best. Thanks for the inspiration 🌼🌸😊