Natural Sage Cleansing Spray for the Home

$2

Sage is an herb thought to have a multitude of healthy home benefits. In fact, some people believe that sage can clear negative energy from a space. This DIY sage cleansing spray combines the power of natural ingredients to effectively cleanse your home with a lovely sage scent afterwards.

You will want to use fresh sage for this spray. Dried sage from the spice aisle will not be as effective - or as beautiful.

Ingredients you will need:

1 bunch of fresh sage leaves (about 1/4 cup)

1 cup hot water

1 cup white distilled vinegar 

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1 spray bottle, ideally glass, that holds about 2 cups (or simply adjust recipe to fit bottles you happen to have on hand). 

First, carefully heat the water and then pour into the bottle. The water shouldn't be boiling, but close to the boiling point.

This is why it's so important to use a glass spray bottle, rather than a plastic spray bottle.

Ruffle or break up the sage leaves, to release the oils, and then add them to the hot water. 

Finish by filling with the cup of vinegar ( here's why it's important to use white vinegar) and salt.

Shake gently to combine ingredients.

Set the bottle in a cool dark place and let the sage work its disinfecting way into the vinegar and water. 

Keep in mind that the sage leaves will start to turn brown or grey after 24 hours. This is natural.

Use this spray on surfaces in your kitchen, bathroom, etc. Keep in mind this is a vinegar based spray, so no granite countertops.

Boost the cleansing power of this Sage Spray with certain essential oils known to cleanse a home. Visit my blog post for extra cleansing power ideas.

Kimberly Button

• Sue

I made this, but I only smell the vinegar...is this normal?

• Julie Moyna

What type of sage? White? Clary? Grocery store? Thank you!

• Kimberly Button

We just used grocery store sage, but you can definitely use any type of sage you prefer.

• Em

I cannot find any beneficial use for sage in cleaning you house other than holistic articles like burning sage. Why do you feel Sage is useful in cleaning that the vinegar won't do?

• River

Cool idea! I've heard same thing, sage can be used to rid places of negative energy but I've only heard about burning it, I like your way a lot better! I've bookmark this page, thanks so much for sharing!

I use cheap vodka and five to ten drops of essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray clothing and shoes I sell on Ebay. Also use it to freshen furniture, carpeting and air. The vodka evaporates leaving the scent. I also mix essential oils mixed in baking soda for carpets. Sprinkle the mix on carpet, leave it on for a while, then vacuum.